PDA

View Full Version : Wrapping Tires

lrnvlFan1w
05-28-2013, 10:31 AM
I was flipping through photos of the Wayne County WOOLMS show and saw multiple cars with there tires wrapped in cellophane.

Googling it yielded a result from Circle Track Magazine that suggested it helps keep the natural tire chemicals (not chemical treatments) in the tire longer thus making them stay softer than not wrapping the tire.

Is that true? Are there other benefits?

Bubstr
05-28-2013, 10:54 AM
The menace your guarding against is Ozone. Ozone comes from anything electrical and attacks tires, drying and cracking them. It just preserves what you have. Add a little silicone and it my even enhance it. It may also get you caught as a tire cheat, now days. Never store your tires near anything electrical and try not to freeze them or store in direct sun light.

The natural oils in a tire make it flexible and resilient to help wear. The rubber can bend and move with out breaking off.

dirty white boy
05-28-2013, 01:49 PM
lotta folks that use chemicals on tires wrap them in cellophane to help it penetrate the rubber better an to keep it from evaporating but most unwrap tires before getting to track unless there track rules allow doping tires..

lrnvlFan1w
05-28-2013, 03:31 PM
I realize that people who dope there tires wrap them but I highly doubt at a WOO race they would leave there tires wrapped in the pits.