PDA

View Full Version : Spring location on rear of metric??

racer21
05-28-2013, 08:42 PM
Just wondering if one is better than the other and what each does,in front of centerline,behind or just centered up on rear,thanks in advance guys!!

ToddSmith16
05-28-2013, 09:25 PM
In front of centerline!!!!

a1driver
05-29-2013, 07:29 PM
there is alot to be gained by spring location on the oem 4 link!

a1driver
06-01-2013, 06:45 PM
well hot rod if you mount the lr spring in front and the rr spring behind whats going to happen? you go think about this and let me know.

a1driver
06-01-2013, 09:30 PM
think about the rotation of the housing related to the centerline of the springs.........

a1driver
06-01-2013, 09:56 PM
you're like talking to a rock, if you think your housing does'nt rotate we'll just stop right here.

dirty white boy
06-02-2013, 01:35 AM
simple physic,..newton's laws of motion,...every action has a equal and opposite reaction...you can look it up

a1driver
06-02-2013, 08:13 AM
i can explain it i just choose not to explain it to someone whose ego tends to obscure their thought process. much of what applies to 3 link suspensions converts to the metric 4 link too.

zeroracing
06-02-2013, 08:35 AM
I do not have a metric car, so have never ran any motion paths on one. The only thing that will allow rotation of the rear end is one of two things.

1. Motion paths of the links themselves, like the birdcage rotation on a standard four link dirt late model.

2. Rear end rotation from torque... For this one to happen one or mor links must have movement. Leaf springs wrap, pull bar cars pull.

For a stock metric chassis you will get little to no wrap from torque, possibly a tiny amount from bushing flex, nowhere close to the movement of a pull bar or torque arm. If you get more movement than that you have something broken.

I did state I have not measured rotation of the rearend due to motion paths of the links, so you could possibly get a small amount of rotation from that, but this will not be on the scale of a late model.

Again, with all solid links you will get NO, NONE, torque rotation to index a spring.

racer21
06-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Stock car do you have videos out there to watch,im new to all this and can learn more from seeing than reading,and I do like your comments on stuff!! Keepem coming

twizted
06-02-2013, 08:53 AM
Ok I'll put in my 2 cents, this is the only stock metric 4 link video i have seen. Depending on the bushings and condition of them I could see a minmal amount of axle rotation and possibly a minimal amount of advange to spring mount movement. Final conclusion is that our class cant move suspension mounts anyway and on a 3400# stock car probably would have to be alot better driver than me to fell the difference in moving sping mounts on housing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4-gTcfycUs

stockcar5
06-02-2013, 09:41 AM
here is one way to get some movement from your rear end....LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LcVPxkQYZw&feature=player_embedded