PDA

View Full Version : cam question

floppyfoot
06-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Our rules say we can run any cam except a roller and we must use hydraulic lifters and can use roller rockers. My question is this, have any of you heard of running a solid lift cam on hydraulic lifters. This is what I was told the builders of these engines were doing. I was told they were using these cams and lifters and running the valve adjustment like a solid cam and lifter combo. We cannot use any lifter that can be easily pushed down by hand. I have no idea what cam is in our engine, the engine was built by someone else and he will not say what it is and the numbers are ground off. I guess I can set up my degree wheel and dial indicator and find out. I built a 5.0 roller engine for my sons 66 Mustang with aluminum heads, performer rpm intake, 650 Holley, 1 5/8 tube headers, 2500 stall, roller rockers and had to set the valves at 0 lash. He kept all the stock parts for the car just in case he decides to sell it. It has been appraised at $31,000.

floppyfoot
06-02-2013, 06:37 PM
This is a 358 Chevy engine.

dirtman45
06-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Use your degree wheel and dial indicator then. If you talk to any major cam company they will tell you not to run a solid cam with hydraulic lifter. The ramp is made different to take up the slack on a solid before opening the valve. Most hydraulic cams can actually have a more aggressive ramp due to the fact that the lifter is already touching the lobe. There are some solid cams you can do this with though if you want but you have to know how to identify these cams.