PDA

View Full Version : black front rocket having trouble keeping the left front down.

lake speed
06-04-2013, 05:00 PM
I have a black front rocket that I am having trouble with it wanting to carry the lf. the car has 500lf 400rf
200lr 225 rr
the j bar is @ 8.5"
the left upper bar is in the middle hole
the left lower bar is in the 3rd hole up
right upper bar is in the middle
right lower is in the middle. the shocks are afco dbl adjustable I have the compression and rebound set to the rocket booh on the shocks.
150 pounds of bite. 54.5%left 55.2% rear
the car wighs 2336 at race weight.
the 5th coil has a 300# spring and is at 35"
. it has no side bite and no forward drive. does anyone see anything thats totally out of whack? nothing is bound up. its got a dummy shock and has the correct drop. I am out of ideas? maybe my driving style just doesnt fit this car? lol!

mickeyd18
06-04-2013, 08:35 PM
I was having the same prob. Switched to a 300 RF spring and shortened the chain 1 inch and seemed to help a lot.make sure the left rear birdcage in not bound up

4bangerhotrod
06-04-2013, 09:50 PM
if the track is slick even the least little bit and your on a 400 RF thats the reason you have no side bite. the car cant get over on the rf to stick the RR.

lake speed
06-05-2013, 10:30 AM
if the track is slick even the least little bit and your on a 400 RF thats the reason you have no side bite. the car cant get over on the rf to stick the RR.
The travel indicator shows the car is rolling over on the rf. I will try the 300 to see if its any better. There is no chain it is on a dummy shock. Maybe I need to limit the lr drop? It could be that there is no forward drive if the left side bird cage is over rotated?

7uptruckracer
06-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Make sure bar angle gain isn't over 45* if you spend all your enegry going up you won't be going forward 13.35 to 14" LR drop is good on the 18 1/4" Left Upper Bar Depending on your track and conditions 300 might be too soft and will bottom out and make sure your a raised RF rail chassis, which is mid 2004 and up anything older you will bottom out the rail in most cases. I run 350-375 in most cases 325 on 1.5 mile slick tracks. Definitely use a chain it will save your shocks and keep your hike with bar changes consistent

4bangerhotrod
06-05-2013, 12:31 PM
you prob dont need to drop all the way down to a 300 starting off, make sure the car is using all the travel in the rf and use the stiffest spring you can but soft enough to use all the travel. also make sure when the car gets over on the rf you have enough rebound in the shock to hold it over there through the turn till exit, as the track slows down the rf needs rebound to keep the car over there since the car isnt going fast enough to hold it over there.

lake speed
06-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Make sure bar angle gain isn't over 45* if you spend all your enegry going up you won't be going forward 13.35 to 14" LR drop is good on the 18 1/4" Left Upper Bar Depending on your track and conditions 300 might be too soft and will bottom out and make sure your a raised RF rail chassis, which is mid 2004 and up anything older you will bottom out the rail in most cases. I run 350-375 in most cases 325 on 1.5 mile slick tracks. Definitely use a chain it will save your shocks and keep your hike with bar changes consistent

so you are saying do away with the dummy shock and go to a chain?

7uptruckracer
06-05-2013, 02:25 PM
No run a Chain on the tube preferably on a rotating bearing mount and use that to set your drop. Then run a 4-0 on the Left Rear front shock to start

7uptruckracer
06-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Give Us all the info you can. Are you running a LF shock extension. What kind of lower a one piece? Make sure all your front suspension is dropping and bind free. Like the others say if its by the book they are close. Make sure your rear end is located in the car correctly. I run more LS then that on a black, and I saw a big difference in teflon lined Heims on my steering and suspension to keep bind out they don't bind under load all food for thought. And if your running the short LRU make sure you don't run more then 13.25 drop or you will get this problem in some cases

lake speed
06-05-2013, 02:36 PM
no shock extension. one piece lower, we have checked it all and nothing is bindind. i do not have the bracket and the short lru on the car. I will try the chain this weekend and see what happens. the rest is pretty much by the book. the car is fast in hot laps when there is some moisture in the track but in the heats and feature its a handfull when it slicks off. I am not new to latemodels just new to rockets. makes me miss my warrior lol.

ncracer1st
06-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Where is your lead mounted and how high is your engine?

drtrkr244
06-05-2013, 09:30 PM
I have a black front rocket that I am having trouble with it wanting to carry the lf. the car has 500lf 400rf
200lr 225 rr
the j bar is @ 8.5"
the left upper bar is in the middle hole
the left lower bar is in the 3rd hole up
right upper bar is in the middle
right lower is in the middle. the shocks are afco dbl adjustable I have the compression and rebound set to the rocket booh on the shocks.
150 pounds of bite. 54.5%left 55.2% rear
the car wighs 2336 at race weight.
the 5th coil has a 300# spring and is at 35"
. it has no side bite and no forward drive. does anyone see anything thats totally out of whack? nothing is bound up. its got a dummy shock and has the correct drop. I am out of ideas? maybe my driving style just doesnt fit this car? lol!

The 2012 Rocket manual calls for 550 lf and 350 rf (go to 325-300 when track slicks off).I found going to a 350/200 stack on lr tightened up our car the best.

lake speed
06-06-2013, 07:02 AM
Where is your lead mounted and how high is your engine?

the lead is mounted down low and towards the rear of the car. the engine is mounted with the second hole up on the motor plate. its spaced about an inch off of the chasis mounts.

7uptruckracer
06-06-2013, 07:21 AM
What yeah is this car? whats your 5th could shock? Get the right LR front shock on it the chain and go race. Thats a good car just have to find out what your issue is and it will click. What kind of motor and i'm assuming steel block? You might have to back off some bite if you aren't all aluminum thats what the specs are based off of

lake speed
06-06-2013, 06:50 PM
What yeah is this car? whats your 5th could shock? Get the right LR front shock on it the chain and go race. Thats a good car just have to find out what your issue is and it will click. What kind of motor and i'm assuming steel block? You might have to back off some bite if you aren't all aluminum thats what the specs are based off of

08. the 5th coil is an afco oil shock. the lr front shock is a 4-0. its an all steel about 600 hp.

7uptruckracer
06-07-2013, 07:13 AM
I assume its a 3-7 afco valving? All of your stuff sounds good just back off some of the RF to around a 350 or so. might just be what you need and set your shocks up like they should be run the chain and the other stuff people suggested and you should see a difference.

lake speed
06-07-2013, 05:18 PM
I assume its a 3-7 afco valving? All of your stuff sounds good just back off some of the RF to around a 350 or so. might just be what you need and set your shocks up like they should be run the chain and the other stuff people suggested and you should see a difference.

ok putting the chain on tonight. what can I do to add forward drive once the track slicks off?

7uptruckracer
06-10-2013, 07:06 AM
Add bite, add rock up (turns in the LS), Add Tilt is a common change (Turns in LR, Turns out RF) Index LR Top rod on Birdcage is my favorite (down 1/2" down) Add LR Compression, Reduce Rebound, Drop RLB, Whatever you do don't do anything to hurt your entry people seem to overtighten the car and kill their entry at the same time so pick stuff that doesn't compromise your entry if you shear the front end getting into the corner in your hunt for drive off you won't have a good night. Let us know how it goes!

jedclampit
06-10-2013, 11:24 AM
the lead is mounted down low and towards the rear of the car. the engine is mounted with the second hole up on the motor plate. its spaced about an inch off of the chasis mounts.

You have your engine up way too high if it is 1" up from the mounts, I would put an all steel engine all the way down to start, and at the most 1/2" up if you need more transfer to rf.

You should have a huge improvement by lowering the engine.
How much lead on car and where exactly is it(height and location in ca)r?

lake speed
06-10-2013, 01:29 PM
jedclampit your pm's are full.

jedclampit
06-10-2013, 02:36 PM
jedclampit your pm's are full.

Should be good now, was traveling last week.

lake speed
06-10-2013, 03:29 PM
pm returned