PDA

View Full Version : Speedway Motors Cams

chevy370lsx
06-05-2013, 11:51 PM
Any one ran their flat tappet cams or high rpm small base circle cams? Are they worth a (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)? I just dont feel like spending $250 on the cams I've been running in the past..

dirtman45
06-06-2013, 12:18 AM
I know that most are made by Crane cams, and I'm not kidding. The hydraulic oval track cams even have the same part number as the Cranes ones do.

chevy370lsx
06-06-2013, 06:00 AM
Interesting.. Thanks for that info!

hot_rod
06-06-2013, 08:32 AM
We have ran their solid flat tappet cam for a season with no issues. The cam will go into our backup motor this year, since we can run roller cams now. Good cam for the money.

Krooser
06-29-2013, 11:44 AM
My buddy just wiped out two lobes on a fresh engine... Speedway juice cam. He's no dummy and did all the right things on the install and break-in. His driver ran a couple laps in the first race then the power fell off... I guess it can happen to any cam but this is the second one in two seasons...

Bubstr
07-01-2013, 10:40 AM
A little tip. Most flat cams come in the first 15 minutes of starting an engine. Other than using the lube supplied by the cam company, a can of GM engine oil supplement can add the zink that has been removed from most oil today, due to the EPA. I know this sounds like Hokas Pokas, but I swear the moving surfaces seem to look almost polished when using it. I even added it to rear gear oil, when braking in new gear sets. One other thing. get oil pressure before ignition is turned on.

If your getting the flat cam during racing conditions, check your valve spring pressures open and closed for stacking up or low spring pressures. Aggressive ramp speed and weak or stacking up can kill a cam also, along with roller rockers or roller lifters. Even good springs do crazy things at high RPM. There is a slow motion video of springs at speed on the net and they move back and forth in the middle more than a $500 hooker. That is why spring pressures, heights and stack heights are so important.

C10
07-01-2013, 08:27 PM
I will say, the cams are not bad cams. BUT the technology used in them is a bit old. The High Energy cams will blow them away, but then again thats why they are available cheap

Krooser
07-01-2013, 10:16 PM
The new GM EOS doesn't have the zinc levels the old formula did...

My buddies cam had good springs... maybe 310# open pressure... nothing radical. It is what it is... he bought another Speedway cam... again. I guess I would have cut my losses....

Bubstr
07-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Too bad on the EOS, that was the shizzle as they say now. There are a lot of good things they have done with oil, but the worse thing is reducing the Zink content. If I was still building engines, I think I'd be looking for a way to get some in there.

MM90
07-02-2013, 09:28 AM
There are plenty of oil additives out there if you are buying any off the shelf API rated engine oil. Most good race oils don't need additives because they are not made for street use and are not goverment "API" rated so they can put all the good stuff like Zinc and Moly in their oils. I run Northland oil in my engines, if you can afford the Joe Gibbs stuff that is probably the best.

Driver88
07-02-2013, 11:05 PM
I lost a speedway cam during break in too. I used a ton of lube and additives. I also primed before start up. I cut my loses and ordered a custom cam.