PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber vs. Aluminum Driveshaft

kevpow
06-07-2013, 02:31 PM
What are the pros and cons of using Carbon Fiber over an Aluminum driveshaft? Is it just a weight difference, performance difference or just preference?

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-07-2013, 02:45 PM
What are the pros and cons of using Carbon Fiber over an Aluminum driveshaft? Is it just a weight difference, performance difference or just preference?

carbon fiber is safer

aluminum is cheaper

Not really a big difference in rotating inertia

7uptruckracer
06-07-2013, 04:15 PM
It will keep from impaling your leg when it breaks or tearing your feet or arms up, I know from experience spend the extra money now or spend a lot more when your aluminum breaks later in hospital bills.

merc123
06-07-2013, 10:21 PM
If you have a ballspline it is a near must to have carbon fiber specifically for the safety concerns.

racebound2
06-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Carbon Fiber. I had a drive shaft come into (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit of LM last year crushing my right elbow to pieces. 12 screws and numerous plates etc along with lots of physical therapy to rebuild and have full use of my right arm. Anything else is not worth the difference for safety. Is it worth an arm or leg really?

7uptruckracer
06-10-2013, 07:02 AM
I feel your pain Racebound. I spent about 4 months not walking, sure the carbon fiber is expensive but compare it to 9k for me in bills from a hospital I'm sure yours was more seems pretty cheap to get the right shaft