PDA

View Full Version : spool vs detroit locker

floppyfoot
06-07-2013, 02:58 PM
What are most of you running, a spool or a detroit locker? We have a locker and are considering going to a spool. This a floater rear end with a 9" Ford center and 31 spline.Any comments welcome.

7uptruckracer
06-07-2013, 04:18 PM
I've run both spool is better for the reason a locker can be inconsistent because the track changes through out the night. Different traction can make it unlock different at one point in the night compared to later. With my racing I take as many variables out as possible for consistency. As the locker springs wear it will eventually act up in your and you will chase it till you figure it out unless you routinely put springs in spool is easier set it and forget it for the most part and its constant

floppyfoot
06-07-2013, 05:38 PM
We have a detroit locker in our street stock right now and are considering going to a spool. The driver just does not like it, it works fine but he does not like it at all. Will any of the spools for a 9" Ford with 31 spline work? there are many different ones out there.

Driver88
06-07-2013, 06:39 PM
If I'm not mistaking a locker should roll through the corner faster. One way or another one rear tire isn't the right size. if ya get the stagger right the rr is trying to go farther than the lr down the straights. And if its not right its messing with the car through the corner. But a locker is illegal a lot of places.

floppyfoot
06-07-2013, 06:57 PM
A locker is legal for us. With it seemly releasing and then locking back when under power, you get the feeling that the rear end is moving around in the car, which it is not doing.

MM90
06-07-2013, 07:57 PM
We have a detroit locker in our street stock right now and are considering going to a spool. The driver just does not like it, it works fine but he does not like it at all. Will any of the spools for a 9" Ford with 31 spline work? there are many different ones out there.

If it's made for a 9" it will work. Not sure what you mean by "many different ones out there" other than some are more lightweight than others.

floppyfoot
06-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Some are lighter and there is a big difference in price on some of them.We will probably be going to a spool and when we do, the locker will be for sale. I want to look at it first and make sure it is OK to sell. Would not want to sell something that is not wotrh having. It does work.

setup479point2
06-08-2013, 07:41 AM
Spool , my cars don't use anything else , tryed other centers always inconsistent.

floppyfoot
06-08-2013, 01:59 PM
The spool is ordered. There are three different size carrier bearings listed for the 9" Ford.

istock11m
06-19-2013, 10:33 PM
A locker will let the car rotate better when off throttle. Has a lot more to do with entry than exit. If you have been running one and put a spool in you will notice the car will tighten up on entry.

floppyfoot
06-23-2013, 06:48 PM
The car did tighten up some on entry. He loves the spool and hated the locker.