PDA

View Full Version : Engine Noise

spray004
06-10-2013, 08:16 AM
I developed what sounds like either a bottom end engine noise or flywheel/clutch noise during/after the feature race Saturday night. It sounds like rocks in a can or almost a sloshing sound. Oil pressure is good 20lbs @ 1800 rpm and runs up to 50 or 60 at race speeds. I can only hear the noise as the engine is shutting off or at really low engine speed. I cut the oil filter open yesterday and couldn't find anything beyond normal engine wear. I pulled the clutch and didn't notice any cracks or problems visually. All bolts were tight. It would make the sound with the clutch pushed in so I don't see it being a transmission issue. Any ideas?

Confused?
06-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Throwout bearing or flywheel bolts.

twisterf5
06-10-2013, 08:29 PM
I developed what sounds like either a bottom end engine noise or flywheel/clutch noise during/after the feature race Saturday night. It sounds like rocks in a can or almost a sloshing sound. Oil pressure is good 20lbs @ 1800 rpm and runs up to 50 or 60 at race speeds. I can only hear the noise as the engine is shutting off or at really low engine speed. I cut the oil filter open yesterday and couldn't find anything beyond normal engine wear. I pulled the clutch and didn't notice any cracks or problems visually. All bolts were tight. It would make the sound with the clutch pushed in so I don't see it being a transmission issue. Any ideas? better pull the pan and check it for a cracked crank. that what it sounds like to me.

spray004
06-11-2013, 03:50 PM
better pull the pan and check it for a cracked crank. that what it sounds like to me.

Well I put a new oil filter on it yesterday, cranked it for maybe 10 seconds to try to eliminate the clutch/flywheel and then boom. Hole in the block from either busted crank or rod.

usafracer
06-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Well you found the noise.

tutt71
09-29-2013, 03:08 PM
The good thing is that it doesn't make noise anymore.