PDA

View Full Version : NeSmith Chevrolet Old Man's Garage WRS June 17 Round Up

crusapr
06-17-2013, 03:43 PM
CARTERSVILLE, GA – The unexpected, courageous, and triumphant return of “Houlka Mania,” a tie for the NeSmith Chevrolet Old Man’s Garage Weekly Racing Series point lead, and a driver moving up the points list with the highest Weekly Point Average were the big results of Week 12 competition.

The 2012 NeSmith Chevrolet Weekly Racing Series Champion Chase Washington of Houlka, MS picked up an emotional win on Friday night at Magnolia Motor Speedway in Columbus, MS by driving the Jerry Inmon Racing Special in to Victory Lane after a race he had no idea he was going to in at the beginning of the day.

Before March of the this year, winning was a regular thing for Washington, but this win big – so big, that Washington said it meant more to him that winning the National Championship last year. In March, Washington was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma cancer, and underwent major surgery to have a foot and a half cancerous portion of his small intestine removed.

While doctors were confident they got all of the cancer, as a precautionary measure, they scheduled Washington for six rounds of chemotherapy, one treatment every three weeks for 18 weeks. Washington said he would be out of action until October.

Scott Dedwylder drove for Washington earlier this season with success results, winning two NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series National Touring events, and three NeSmith Chevrolet Old Man’s Garage Weekly Racing Series races. While the “Vossburg Vandal’s” victories made Washington smile, there was still a strong desire inside him to get back in the race car.

“When I got to the race track Friday night, I was feeling pretty good, so I thought I would hot lap the car just to see how I felt physically afterwards, and I felt pretty good, so I decided to qualify the car,” Washington said. “I set fast time, which put me on the pole for the feature race, so, even though I appreciate what Scott has done in the car, I thought I’d better stay in it for feature.”

After taking the lead at the start of the race, Washington raced side-by-side in the early laps with Kyle Shaw of Millport, AL, a driver that also had a strong desire to post his first win of the season. Washington hung on for the win, and there wasn’t a dry eye in the house.

“Winning therapy is better than chemotherapy because this is the best I’ve felt since March,” Washington said from Victory Lane, as the emotion began to fill his voice. “This win, right here, means more to me than winning the National Championship last year, and I just want to thank everyone for all of their support while I’ve been battling this illness. All of this means more to me than you’ll ever know.”

The story doesn’t end here. The NeSmith Chevrolet Old Man’s Garage Weekly Racing Series Late Models returned to The Mag on Saturday night, and so did Washington, suited up and ready to go. Washington followed up his Friday night victory with a third-place finish on Saturday night. They also brought a car for Dedwylder to drive, and he finished second.

And that driver that was desperately looking for his first win of the season on Friday night that finished second to Washington? Well, Kyle Shaw drove the Columbus Nissan Trak-Star into Victory Lane on Saturday night and the “Shawtown Shaker” got that first win of the season.
Sid Scarbrough of Florence, MS picked up his second win of the season on Friday night at Hattiesburg Motorsports Park in Hattiesburg, MS driving the Villa South Trak-Star, and in doing so, now shares the NeSmith Chevrolet Old Man’s Garage Weekly Racing Series point lead with Derrick Mackmer of Purvis, MS. Each driver has 482 points, but Scarbrough has the tie-breaker advantage.

The “Florence Flash” has two wins, five top five finishes and 11 top ten finishes in 13 races, while “Motorcycle Mack” has four top five finishes and 11 top ten finishes in 16 starts driving the Mackmer Home Buyers Special.

Noah Daspit of Kiln, MS got back into the championship battle with his fifth NeSmith Chevrolet Old Man’s Garage Weekly Racing Series win of the season on Saturday night at St, Tammany Raceway in Lacombe, MS. Daspit moved back up to the third spot in the standings with 477 points after five wins and 11 top five finishes in 12 races.

“Noah’s Ark” is the Billy Riels Racing Trak-Star. When the field lines up behind “Noah’s Ark” for double-file restarts, they are appropriately lined up two-by-two.

After leading the NeSmith Chevrolet Old Man’s Garage Weekly Racing Series point standings for several weeks, a now rideless Michael Arnold of Hattiesburg, MS dropped to the fourth spot with 435 points. Prior to stepping out of the Reynolds Motorsports/Billy Riels Racing GRT, the “Hattiesburg Hustler” had four wins, ten top five finishes and 12 top ten finishes in 13 races.

Shannon Lee of Lumberton, MS finished second on Saturday night at St. Tammany Raceway in the Billy Riels Racing GRT, and is fifth in the NeSmith Chevrolet Old Man’s Garage Weekly Racing Series standings with 428 points. “The General” has one win, 12 top five finishes and 13 top ten finishes in 14 starts.

Bobby Jordan of McCarley, MS holds down the sixth spot in the NeSmith Chevrolet Old Man’s Garage Weekly Racing Series standings with 405 points. “Big Nasty” has four top five finishes and five top ten finishes in 13 starts driving the Henderson Waste and Recycling Trak-Star.

The third big story of Week 12 in the NeSmith Chevrolet Old Man’s Garage Weekly Racing Series season had “Big Sky” Montana Dudley of Phenix City, AL driving the Zaxby’s Rocket to his series-leading sixth win of the season on Saturday night at East Alabama Motor Speedway in Phenix City, AL.

Dudley is seventh in the NeSmith Chevrolet Old Man’s Garage Weekly Racing Series standings with 398 points. Dudley has won six of the eight races he has run this season, and two races he didn’t win, he finished second. That gives Dudley a Weekly Point Average of 49.75 out of a possible perfect score of 50.

Ricky Waggoner of Martin, TN and T.J. Hays of Bradford, TN are tied for the eighth spot in the NeSmith Chevrolet Old Man’s Garage Weekly Racing Series standings with 393 points apiece. Waggoner has the tie-breaker advantage with five wins, and eight top five finishes in eight races driving the Taylormade Performance Special. Waggoner’s WPA is 49.125.

Hays has three top five finishes, and seven top ten finishes in nine races driving the 45 Race Shop GRT. Pat Wall of Columbus, GA rounds out the Top 10 in the NeSmith Chevrolet Old Man’s Garage Weekly Racing Series standings with 391 points after one win, five top five finishes and eight top ten finishes in nine starts driving the Wimmer’s Wrecker Service Rocket.

In other NeSmith Chevrolet Old Man’s Garage Weekly Racing Series Week 12 action, Scott Knowles of Lanett, AL drove the Performance Trucking Warrior to victory on Friday night at Penton Raceway in Penton, AL, and Doug Begnaud of Houston, TX was the winner on Saturday night at Battleground Speedway in Highlands, TX driving the Begnaud Racing Special.

NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series Rookie of the Year point leader Kyle Bronson of Brandon, FL stopped in at his home track on Saturday night and won the NeSmith Chevrolet Old Man’s Garage Weekly Racing Series race at Bubba Raceway Park in Ocala, FL driving the Brandon Ford Warrior. Jeff Glisson of Boaz, KY took his second win of the season on Saturday night at Clayhill Motorsports in Atwood, TN driving the SGR Equipment Rocket.

Week 12 victories from Scarbrough, Shaw and Daspit brought the leading win total for two-time the NeSmith Chevrolet Old Man’s Garage Weekly Racing Series Chassis Manufacturers Challenge Champion Trak-Star Race Cars built by Boland Performance of Cuba, AL up to 22 for the 2013 season.

Rocket Chassis of Shinnston, WV holds the second spot after Dudley and Glisson gave them their 11th and 12th wins of the season. Four-time and defending NeSmith Chevrolet Old Man’s Garage Weekly Racing Series Chassis Champ GRT Race Cars of Greenbrier, AR is third with nine wins on the season.

Warrior Race Cars built by Goddard Performance of Knoxville, TN is in the fourth spot after Knowles and Bronson gave then their fourth and fifth wins in the 2013 season. Stinger Race Cars built by J.T. Kerr Racing Equipment of Rockford, TN, TNT Race Cars of Piney Flats, TN, and CVR Race Cars of Lenoir City, TN are also participating in the 2013 NeSmith Chevrolet Old Man’s Garage Weekly Racing Series Chassis Manufacturers Challenge.

After 12 weeks of NeSmith Chevrolet Old Man’s Garage Weekly Racing Series competition, a total of 290 different drivers have earned points. The complete NeSmith Chevrolet OMG WRS point standings are posted on the all-new NeSmith Chevrolet OMG WRS web site at www.nesmithracing.com.

For more information about the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series visit the series all-new web site at www.nesmithracing.com, or visit the series on Facebook at NeSmith Racing. Becoming a fan of the NeSmith Racing Facebook page will make you eligible for special prizes that will be given away each month. You can follow us on Twitter @NeSmithRacing.