PDA

View Full Version : LR Bite question

dirttrackrocker
06-17-2013, 04:02 PM
If the LR spring is basically out of play when the car is up on the bars, then what part does LR bite play? Or LR spring rate for that matter?

kwagner
06-17-2013, 05:04 PM
my thinking on this would be...

your car isn't up on the bars all the way around the track, eventually it comes down and makes the spring touch. So, there has to be a spring in there to catch the car. Left rear bite is important because of how much weight is being shifted over to the right front and right rear of the car going into the corner. The more left rear bite, the longer it takes to shift that weight, the less left rear bite, the faster. I plan on changing my left rear spring this week to gain some LR bite. the spring rate isn't really TOO important, but I think LR bite is.

charcoal01
06-20-2013, 06:31 PM
I believe all of the above is correct except that spring rate plays a huge role on corner entry when the car comes of the bars. By changing spring rate to effect bite you're changing the cars handling in more ways than if you just put bite into the car.

Egoracing
06-20-2013, 09:38 PM
If you put a cam on it you may find that the car is actually only off of the spring for a short time just before you get into the corner, depending on the bar angles and the birdcage setup.

MM90
06-21-2013, 07:46 AM
If you put a cam on it you may find that the car is actually only off of the spring for a short time just before you get into the corner, depending on the bar angles and the birdcage setup.

Agreed, my LR spring is loaded pretty much all the time. With the car on jack stands and moving the RR up is still has pre load on it. Now during actual racing it might come off a little bit.

dirttrackrocker
06-21-2013, 08:24 AM
Thanks for all the replies. My reason for asking is this. I am trying to get down to 0 bite, but, to get that low my LR ride height is about 1/2 in too low. I was thinking of using a lighter spring so I could get the ride height up without adding bite.

HEAVY DUTY
06-21-2013, 09:04 AM
That wont help. Your ride height is what sets the weight. A softer spring sitting at the same ride height will be the same weight, but will have more preload on the spring. The way to get the bite out while keeping the lr right would be to raise the lf ride height a little. That will also put some tilt in the car which should help side bite.

robbie124
06-21-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm curious of y u would want zero lr bite?.. Lr bite and rear % is all I ever mess with on my mod (its the only thing I have a clue about when it comes to scales) but I know If I don't have 60 - 70lbs of lr then I'm driving a dump truck on sat. Nite. so just for my info what r u goin to gain at zero or am I missing somthing..

MM90
06-21-2013, 10:21 AM
This is what I was told to add bite to a car without changing ride heights, so if you do the opposite it should lower bite without changing heights.

-1 turn LF, +1 turn RF, +2-1/2 turns LR, -2-1/2 turns RR now granted depending on your spring sliders you may not be able to do 1/2 turns. This works on my car.