PDA

View Full Version : Ford 9" chunk install glue, gasket, both?

twizted
06-18-2013, 06:00 PM
So I am putting a new chunk in stock ford 9" rear right now and the old one had no gasket just RTV sealer That was a pain to get off and clean up. I used the gasket on street cars but am being told to RTV it. I want to be able to take this apart without tons of work to clean it up but dont want it leaking like crazy either. Input from experts would be awesome and thanks in advance

mudeater18
06-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Buy a new gasket and glue it to the housing (but not to the stump itself). You should be able to change it several times without hurting the gasket or leaking. It should last all season.

twizted
06-18-2013, 08:01 PM
I was thinking about that or coating gasket in wheel bearing grease done that on street cars. I could drop chunk out and never mess up gasket. I may change gear 1 or 2 more times this season depending on how things go. I do
wonder why people glue these in till you almost cant get them out.

MM90
06-18-2013, 08:02 PM
^^^Agree, try not to use silicone because if it comes loose and gets in the fluid it can cause problems.

racinjj
06-19-2013, 10:34 AM
Buy a new gasket and glue it to the housing (but not to the stump itself). You should be able to change it several times without hurting the gasket or leaking. It should last all season.

Yep, exactly what I do. I change gears twice a week and the gasket lasts all season with no leaking.

twizted
06-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Thanks fellas gonna use a gasket and grease.

Dirtrunner35
06-20-2013, 04:04 PM
I used some sealer but most of the time never used any at all since I changed it every saturday for a different track