PDA

View Full Version : Bert seal

merc123
06-19-2013, 07:29 PM
I'm having an issue getting a seal into the tailshaft. The one that came out is a P 1.8550A which looks like a PowerGlide seal based on the 8550A which crosses to a P/N 3746212 which then crosses to a 9613S or 5200 (comes with bushing). I also saw others say the 9613S is the one that's needed.

I've tried to put 3 of them in so far and messed up all three. I've put them in the freezer for about an hour and tried to tap around the edges with a hammer lightly to get them to go in. It seems one side will go in and tilt the seal and I can't keep tapping around to get it in, it just unseats the other side. I've tried a socket I have that is exatly the same size as the seal and first tap and it goes in tilted. I've reseated it I can't count how many times and tried to hit it as square as I can. I've felt the inside of the housing and I can't feel any burrs.

What's the trick?

keeks
06-19-2013, 07:38 PM
It sure cant hurt to get one of those seal driver kits from Lisle. But it does sound like there is something wrong. Have you tried to mic the size of the seal and the inside of the housing? Just to make sure the seal can go in. I would imagine maybe .010" interference is all that is needed.

merc123
06-19-2013, 08:01 PM
It actually looked like the seal was .30mm (.01") larger than the one that came out. I didn't mic the housing though. The reason for replacing the seal was the driveshaft came out and shoved the yoke into it.

I'll check with the parts stores for a loaner seal driver when I pick up a new seal or 6 and mic the housing.

rubbinsracin
06-19-2013, 09:55 PM
We always take our seal and run the belt sander on the seal a couple tomes around an it,goes right in.

FlatTire
06-20-2013, 07:56 AM
I'd recommend sanding a little material off the outside of the seal like Rubbin suggested. That's what I usually do when they won't go in. Highly recommend a seal installer or a block of wood to help tap it in.

hammond motorsports
06-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Just get a debur tool and run it around the tailhousing .They do not have a good taper on the housing and if you use a hammer it will bend the seal but if you have it in a press it will go in just fine .

merc123
06-20-2013, 04:33 PM
I got it. Used a Dremel and deburred the housing. Then Dremeled the seal a few times and lightly tapped around the edges until it got all the way in. Real pain.

9WRACER
06-24-2013, 11:34 PM
when we put the seal in I use the top part of the old cheap jack stand. The open round end fits the seal almost perfect and the flat stand piece I hit with a hammer to drive the seal in. The extra lenght allows you to replace the seal in the car too.