PDA

View Full Version : Steer on exit

CHRISTINE
06-26-2013, 08:09 AM
Will to much steer make car feel loose on exit my car feels real loose but at end of feature i can still see my grind marks on tires so i no im not blowing tires off.
2010 bms 4-4
600lf 600 rf 225lr 200 rr
lub 21* llb 5* rub 21* rlb 1* 5 inch jbar 600-200 spring adjusted for 2 inch travel
75 lf 74-7 rf 9-2 lr 3-5 rr 52.2 l 57 r at start 49.8 cross 50 lrb
car is good on entry tad snug through center then feels free off.

Mod77L
06-26-2013, 12:11 PM
It has been my experience that loose roll steer loosens the car off the gas, and tightens on the gas. When you say, "feels real loose," do you mean that the car wants to drive up to the wall? If so, then I would say that you have too much loose roll steer, but your lower bar angles suggest that your loose roll steer isn't excessive. If I have problems on exit only, they are usually pull bar related. I don't have experience with a progressive spring, but 2" of pull bar travel seems excessive. You might be loading up the bar to the point where you're overloading the traction capabilities of the tires, but I guess that would burn off your grind marks, wouldn't it? Getting that pull bar set right makes a huge difference in the handling off the corner.

CHRISTINE
06-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Yes i have to arch the straight aways to keep bite in car if i try to drive striaght out of turn then it wants to break tires loose. I was told to keep 2 inches of travel all the time in the pull bar by bms but maybe it dont work for me. what pullbar spring do you run i know alot run this progressive.

Mod77L
06-26-2013, 01:12 PM
I run a 1200# straight-rate spring with 1/16 preload. I run the old-style Afco two-way pull bar That might be why I can run such a high rate spring, but I haven't tried any of the other kinds. Where is it mounted on the rear end? Centered left-to-right? How high? How much angle? How big of a track? You could try taking some drive out of the RR by lowering the RTB a hole and see how that helps you.

charcoal01
06-26-2013, 01:16 PM
I had the same issue with another cart I had, it felt loose of all the time in the slick but I wasn't spinning the tires. I was in the same holes as the guy who built the car was running in and winning in his car, bit I just couldn't make it work for me. Started dropping bar angle and the loose off feel went away. So I disagree with an above poster that loose roll steer makes a car feel tight on exit. I would start by dropping your rub one hole, around 18 degrees. See if that helps.

CHRISTINE
06-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Right now its all the way to left on frame and rear end 11 inchs up and 18* we race on a high bank 3/8 track that is allways slick the r side bars are in the standard position right now and we were leanind towards dropping the rub down one. How much will that free entry?

charcoal01
06-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Just slightly. You can index the cage into the spring a little to counteract the loose feel on entry. Shouldn't effect exit much.