PDA

View Full Version : quickchange tube

dfhotlm33c
06-26-2013, 08:27 AM
So, I know I should be able to just heat the bell and pull the tube after taking the bolts out..the problem is that the rear end I am taking a tube out of to use has studs and nuts instead of bolts. I have no clue how they could have assembled the rear end this way...and I don't see any purpose in having studs instead..has anyone seen this or know how to get the tube out in that case?

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-26-2013, 09:05 AM
So, I know I should be able to just heat the bell and pull the tube after taking the bolts out..the problem is that the rear end I am taking a tube out of to use has studs and nuts instead of bolts. I have no clue how they could have assembled the rear end this way...and I don't see any purpose in having studs instead..has anyone seen this or know how to get the tube out in that case?

Is it just bolts put in from the inside out? Take the bell off the rear and get to them from the inside of the tube.

dfhotlm33c
06-26-2013, 09:32 AM
There are days where I swear I don't have a master's degree in math...this is one of them...wow I'm dumb. Thanks!

fastford
06-26-2013, 06:23 PM
i have saw studs used like goes in a intake that holds down carb, they usually have course threads on the end that goes in tube and sae threads where nut goes, this will create a better clamp, you can lock 2 nuts together then screw the stud out, not saying its not possible but ive never saw bolts put in from inside, which way was yours?

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-26-2013, 06:44 PM
i have saw studs used like goes in a intake that holds down carb, they usually have course threads on the end that goes in tube and sae threads where nut goes, this will create a better clamp, you can lock 2 nuts together then screw the stud out, not saying its not possible but ive never saw bolts put in from inside, which way was yours?

We have our bolts from the inside out.

TALON75
06-27-2013, 01:37 AM
Is there a reason why?

keeks
06-27-2013, 07:12 AM
A bolt with a nut acts just as a stud would. Much stronger than just a bolt threaded into aluminum.

fastford
06-27-2013, 08:50 AM
the fact is, with the press fit on the tube in the bell, the only real thing the bolts are dealing with is shear, ive always used grade 8 bolts and tapped the tube and put bolts strait in , never had a problem and dont have to pull bell to change

hpmaster
07-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Having broken a left rear end tube at the outer bell bolts and wrecking a race car by flipping it a few times and ending up on my top this is a more serious matter than I thought it was before then. Tear it all apart and check the bells and bolt from the inside. Will say it was the quickest a car ever turned left in my driving experiance.