PDA

View Full Version : sail panels

racing_kid
06-26-2013, 03:54 PM
a few of the lms at my track cut out there sails like Richards and moyer have on there lms, i looked in the usra and imca rule books and i couldnt find anything about mods being able to do it, i know it wouldnt be such a big deal in imca but in usra it would allow more air to the spoiler, my sails are already short like the lms and i was debating cutting them out and was wondering what you guys thoughts of this would be?

hogglett
06-26-2013, 08:51 PM
I'm not sure about those sanctioning bodies but I talked to UMP and was told that the panels had to be symmetrical . Then I had him read me the rule as to where it said that. And he couldn't . He said even though it wasn't in the rules that t was illegal . LOL. I then asked him about the rule that says bodies must be from approved vendors..... " we'll we don't use that rule anymore".

BPRC MAN
06-26-2013, 11:23 PM
Theres about ten mods running it up here in Michigan(UMP) and it is legal,both sides just have to look alike.Jacob Poel and Andy Sprague run them to name a couple.

racin6mod
06-27-2013, 05:49 PM
the biggest advantage would be to have the rr sail open and the lr solid that would trap more air at the spoiler by saying both side have to be the same the equal out the only true advantage. now by having both sails open you would trap less air at the spoiler so your better off with short lm type sails and long as possible rear spoiler braces. as you see in the usmts and most dirt lm series.

3Mehler
07-05-2013, 10:04 AM
I agree with racin6mod.. coming from a winged background on this end I personally feel that opening up is a bad decision.. yet there are some fellas taken advantage of it and running up front.. If UMP would allow to open up the RR Sail and leave the Full Length LR sail, I think we would see a new sail style take over the whole field... my $0.02.