PDA

View Full Version : Spindals

95rayburn
06-28-2013, 07:04 PM
What would it do if I were to put shorter spindals say off a rocket on my rayburn

rubbinsracin
06-29-2013, 12:08 AM
Change all your front end geometry.

hpmaster
06-30-2013, 09:45 AM
Why? There isn't anything wrong with the Rayburn frontend to start with. To change spindels and not at very least have a good reason based on computer checking all your measurements before and after the switch will only cause you problems. To do so without installing at a very minimum sliders on the upper control arm mounts or new mounts will insure your geometry CAN be adjusted AFTER you put them on you will be much worse than the standard Rayburn frontend you started with. JMHO.

95rayburn
06-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Not tryin to change my rayburn I have a bent spindal and was wondering what rocket ones would do to the car guess im calling rayburn in the morning and orderin a set of purple spindals

hpmaster
07-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Each frontend design is done as a unit by the designer. So location of all mounting holes, mounting angles, A arm lengths, lower arm design, spindel height, pin angle, pin location and rack length are all part of the equation plus other variables. Add to that a whole bunch of each designers belief or their own understanding of what works and does not, you then have a front suspension. There are a few well founded truths in front end design but the deeper you get into it the more you will figure out how little is agreed on. If you want to better understand how this all works and how changes can effect the suspension get a good front end geomitry program and measure your car and see how small changes to these numbers effects how the suspension works. Notice I wrote that and never said roll center once!

7uptruckracer
07-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Thats because Roll center is useless on its own you need that camber change, caster gain as a package blah blah blah it gives you migraines....

swingarm4life
07-02-2013, 12:06 PM
As long as you put a Rocket blue spindle on, you should be fine. That is the only spindle you can put on a Rayburn and not have to change everything else.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-02-2013, 12:20 PM
As long as you put a Rocket blue spindle on, you should be fine. That is the only spindle you can put on a Rayburn and not have to change everything else.

What about steering arm length? That is often overlooked and Ackerman gets messed up.

jedclampit
07-02-2013, 01:29 PM
I would think if they were matching spindles (L/R from the same FE) the Ackerman would work out fine.... but I am far from a FE geometry expert by any means!

If you put Rocket spindles on you'd be 2 parts closer to having a Rocket!

I do 'believe I have heard' the grey Rocket spindles are darn near the same as one of the Rayburn spindles?

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-02-2013, 02:28 PM
I would think if they were matching spindles (L/R from the same FE) the Ackerman would work out fine.... but I am far from a FE geometry expert by any means!

If you put Rocket spindles on you'd be 2 parts closer to having a Rocket!

I do 'believe I have heard' the grey Rocket spindles are darn near the same as one of the Rayburn spindles?

I was concerned with replacing one spindle. If both were replaced with Rocket parts, the deal would probably be fine. It may be different, but it would be fine.