PDA

View Full Version : lower control arm

dfhotlm33c
07-02-2013, 06:57 AM
This may seem like a dumb question...when Afco or other manufacturers list their stud type lower control arms, how are they determining the length? We run an 18 5/8" lower on the right front (from center of heim to center of ball joint), and I need to know what I would buy.

Also, if the car currently has the stud type, would it be a problem to run the older, hockey stick, two bolt style lower of the same length?

Matt49
07-02-2013, 08:44 AM
The length on the stud type is still measured from where the center of the heim would be to the center of where the ball joint would be.

You may already know this but the stud type are getting harder and harder to find as everyone moves toward the one piece lower control arm.

dfhotlm33c
07-02-2013, 09:28 AM
So, just to clarify, If UB Machine sells a lower that does not come with the heim, but they list it as a 19", then it is set up to measure 19" from center of heim to ball joint, once I install my heim? Thanks! And yes, we hate that we don't have any spares left, because spending 50-80 on a part we can get a the swap meet in November for 15-20 is disheartening!

Matt49
07-02-2013, 03:17 PM
So, just to clarify, If UB Machine sells a lower that does not come with the heim, but they list it as a 19", then it is set up to measure 19" from center of heim to ball joint, once I install my heim? Thanks! And yes, we hate that we don't have any spares left, because spending 50-80 on a part we can get a the swap meet in November for 15-20 is disheartening!

Yes that should be the case. That's the way the Afco's are and I can't imagine UB is any different. Should be from center of heim to center of ball joint and obviously the heim threads give you some adjustment.
I've never ordered a lower from UB but I use their uppers with the slugs for caster adjustment. I like them. I kind of feel like adjusting caster with the uppers is the only way to go if you have a one-piece lower but there are differing opinions on that.