PDA

View Full Version : Spindle design

Matt49
07-02-2013, 03:36 PM
I am brainstorming about a different spindle design. Rather than using spindles that have tapered holes for insertion of a ball joint and control arms with sleeves for a ball joint.
My idea is that the spindle would have straight holes for insertion of a bolt/stud to which you could attach a large heim joint. The heim joint could then be threaded into a control arm.
I can think of several pros to a design like this:
1) Cheaper to make spindle
2) Heims are cheaper than ball joints and require less maintenance.
3) Adjustability

The only con I can think of off hand is that there could be some issues with misalignment but I think that could be worked on. Also there could be an issue with clearance between the upper control arm and shock.

I'm sure I'm missing some reasons why this might not be practical but that is why I'm posting it...
Not racing for a few weeks gets you thinking up some crazy stuff.

Matt49
07-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Talking to myself already...axial load on the heim could be an issue...

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-02-2013, 05:25 PM
That is how we did it in my Formula SAE days on a pullrod suspension.

let-r-eat
07-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Ball joint has more angularity than a heim. The shear factor of a non tapered connection is also a MAJOR concern. A designed balljoint might be a better angle to attack. Uniball mounting configurations. Tie rod ends with adequate taper and thread?Would be nice to have a spindle design where spindle inclination was adjustable.More food for thought.

TS3g
07-02-2013, 07:34 PM
A lot of Off-Road / Trophy Truck suspensions use that design. Check out post #123 (uses monoballs, not heims, but same concept):

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/95742-Camburg-built-KINETIK-7200-6-truck-for-TSA-Motorsports/page13

Actually, check out the entire thread, or most of the threads on that forum. Talk about some sick engineering/fabricating skills

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-03-2013, 11:05 AM
A lot of Off-Road / Trophy Truck suspensions use that design. Check out post #123 (uses monoballs, not heims, but same concept):

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/95742-Camburg-built-KINETIK-7200-6-truck-for-TSA-Motorsports/page13

Actually, check out the entire thread, or most of the threads on that forum. Talk about some sick engineering/fabricating skills

That reminded me. We did use monoballs for our FSAE setup. It wasn't heims.

SS Motorsports
07-03-2013, 10:11 PM
the mono-ball pins are a better route to go, I think they a more free movement and you can get a ton of travel out of them.