PDA

View Full Version : shock question

leadfoot_35
07-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Ok I have a metric stub 4 bar spring behind limited motor mod. I started the year with Bilstein monotube gas shocks on the rear and a pro wb shock on the lf and a carrera shock on the rf. (Had a limited selection of front shocks so I threw on what I had) The valving on the shocks are as follows:
LR-Bilstein 2060
RR-Bilstein 5030
LF-Pro Wb 763
RF-Carrera not sure which number is valving 3177 or P3023.

I called Bilstein and I told them I wanted a 4 shock package for running with the open mods so I needed a little more corner speed to make up for the lack of horsepower. He suggested 1090s on both left side shocks and 6040s on both right sides. When I used the shock package the car did not want to turn in at all. With my other shocks the car works really well except for late in the race the oil shocks start to fade. I thought about using the rear shocks I already have with the new bilsteins on the front but I don't want to have that push. What should I do or what bilsteins would be a good base setup?

HEAVY DUTY
07-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Did you call Bilstien, or a Bilstien dealer who wasn't familiar with mods. Those numbers aren't anything I have ever known of Bilstien recommending, except for maybe the RF. That 6040 would be ok on the RF if the track isn't rough. A 5030 would be good on the lf. The 5030 you had would be a good rr shock if it isn't rough. Get a S9L 3-7M LR or a S9z3060COB for the LR, or have a Bilstien rebuilder change the 2060 to a COB type shock. Put that 1090 front shock over the top of the rear end. That 1090 lr shock can probably be used in super dry, smooth, momentum situations where you aren't on and off the gas much.

leadfoot_35
07-04-2013, 03:25 PM
It was Bilstein that we called. He wanted to use a couple different valving shocks but they were a custom valving which would of been more and it wasn't in the budget so he said to use these. So the 6040 on the rf would work?

HEAVY DUTY
07-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Yes, the 6040 on the RF should be ok. The custom valve stuff from Bilstien is 15 dollars more

Dragoon55
07-06-2013, 02:18 AM
Ok I have a metric stub 4 bar spring behind limited motor mod. I started the year with Bilstein monotube gas shocks on the rear and a pro wb shock on the lf and a carrera shock on the rf. (Had a limited selection of front shocks so I threw on what I had) The valving on the shocks are as follows: LR-Bilstein 2060 RR-Bilstein 5030 LF-Pro Wb 763 RF-Carrera not sure which number is valving 3177 or P3023. I called Bilstein and I told them I wanted a 4 shock package for running with the open mods so I needed a little more corner speed to make up for the lack of horsepower. He suggested 1090s on both left side shocks and 6040s on both right sides. When I used the shock package the car did not want to turn in at all. With my other shocks the car works really well except for late in the race the oil shocks start to fade. I thought about using the rear shocks I already have with the new bilsteins on the front but I don't want to have that push. What should I do or what bilsteins would be a good base setup? The Carrera is a 7 valve. 31 is the series, first 7 is length, last 7 is valving. Hope this helps.

leadfoot_35
07-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Yes, the 6040 on the RF should be ok. The custom valve stuff from Bilstien is 15 dollars more

Yeah I know they weren't much more but we only had enough for the 4 shocks.

leadfoot_35
07-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Those left side shocks would seriously tighten the car up, like insanely. I doubt you could ever run both of those at the same time on any A mod unless you maybe only changed those two shocks from your totally heavy track set up and the track was completely dry and dusty..

call Wade at fx suspension he builds all my bilst shocks and many others around me. Wade races A mods.

It was too. It would not turn in on entry no matter what I did. I hated every second of it too cause we tried it at a Summer National race at my home track. So in front of all of those people I looked terrible. It was embarrassing.

leadfoot_35
07-06-2013, 02:22 PM
So I went to Lincoln speedway in Lincoln Illinois and ran with the open mods. Didn't do so well in the heat race cause I was outmotored and didn't have a feel for the track. Started on the pole for the B main and led every lap for the win. Started 17th in the feature and finished 8th. I put the 6040 on the rf for the feature and car was not bad at all. Didn't put enough fuel in and was loose during feature. Ran out after the race pulling into the pits.