View Full Version : right frame rail bottoming out

dukesracin
07-08-2013, 04:35 PM
04 Shaw Mod
LF-600lbs-5/5
RF-600lbs-3/5
LR-200lbs-8/2
RR-200lbs-3/4.5

LR spring behind, RR paired shock and spring, biscuit pullbar.
20lbs LR bite, 56% rear, 52% left

Car is good and fast, but appears to be bottoming out the right front frame rail.
Paint is gone and rubbed clean.
How bad is this hurting me?
Should I swap to a 650 rf spring?

Thanks for your advice!

washeduptoo
07-08-2013, 05:53 PM
How much shock rod do you have left showing, you could try a bump stop on the shock. You can try the 650 and have you called Shaw? Good luck.

dukesracin
07-09-2013, 06:23 AM
How much shock rod do you have left showing, you could try a bump stop on the shock. You can try the 650 and have you called Shaw? Good luck.

We had moved the RF shock mount to allow more travel last year.
Not sure where to start with a bump stop....durometer etc.
I plan to call Kevin today and see what he thinks about it.
Thanks again, always like hearing ideas.

johnny v
07-09-2013, 04:30 PM
How much brake are you or your driver using to get it in the corner? Where is the bias bar? If you answer is "lots of brake" and the bias bar is " all the way to the rear"... I think that might be your answer....

Tight on entry... driver using too much brake to turn it.....

up the LR bite some, raise the LS % a little... free it up some....

We have run a 500 spring on the RF at Texas Motor Speedway Dirt Track ( fast and big) on a Chevelle clip shaw and if the driver enters the corners correctly and the car is free.... the frame rail just kisses the track every once in a while :-)

dukesracin
07-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Whole frame rail on most mods has no paint on the bottom, they all rub some. I wouldn't worry about it, unless your hitting so hard with the rf behind the tire that you feel it. When my stock bottoms out sometimes it rattles my teeth but its fast soft so I leave it.

I didn't feel it, just noticed it this past week, but it is fast so.....that is good!
Thanks

dukesracin
07-09-2013, 05:11 PM
How much brake are you or your driver using to get it in the corner? Where is the bias bar? If you answer is "lots of brake" and the bias bar is " all the way to the rear"... I think that might be your answer....

Tight on entry... driver using too much brake to turn it.....

up the LR bite some, raise the LS % a little... free it up some....

We have run a 500 spring on the RF at Texas Motor Speedway Dirt Track ( fast and big) on a Chevelle clip shaw and if the driver enters the corners correctly and the car is free.... the frame rail just kisses the track every once in a while :-)

Actually I don't get on the brakes until after car is rotated if at all, maybe a little trail brake from center off to keep it pointed where I want.
I have been starting with the brakes centered and might adjust a little to the front, but lately with all the rain we have been having the track has stayed fairly moist most nights.

Thanks for the input!

dukesracin
07-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Actually I don't get on the brakes until after car is rotated if at all, maybe a little trail brake from center off to keep it pointed where I want.
I have been starting with the brakes centered and might adjust a little to the front, but lately with all the rain we have been having the track has stayed fairly moist most nights.

Thanks for the input!

But another thought.......it did get a little tight through the center, but I attributed that to me getting tired, I was worn out after the last race. I had a steering quickener go bad and a LF brake caliper hanging up.