PDA

View Full Version : Blankenship is on a Roll!

kearney
07-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Blankenship is on a Roll!

The hottest Dirt Late Model drivers in the country coming into this week's Silver Dollar Nationals has to be Williamson, West Virginia's John Blankenship. Blankenship got people's attention when he won the $10,000 to win Spring Nationals at Volunteer Speedway in Bulls Gap, Tennessee. Then on May 18, he scored the biggest win of his career when he won the $20,000 to win Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series “Bad Boy 98” at Batesville, Arkansas.

Two weeks later, he backed that up with another Lucas Oil win at the lightning fast Tazewell Speedway in Tennessee. Blankenship slowly gained ground on Lucas Oil Series points leader Jimmy Owens and was only 65 points back going into this past weekend's events at Granite City, Illinois and Wheatland, Missouri.

On Friday night at Granite City, Blankenship ran second to Steve Francis while Owens experienced motor problems and finished last giving Blankenship the points lead. Well if you think it was just luck that put Blankenship on top, the next night at Lucas Oil Speedway in Wheatland, Missouri (a track where Owens is almost unbeatable), Blankenship passed Owens for the lead and won the race with Owens coming home second.

“I don't know what to say,” Blankenship said in the Lucas Oil Victory Lane. “To beat Jimmy (Owens) here is just unbelievable! He has been so strong here. I didn't think anyone was ever going to be him here.”

I think it fair to say that Blankenship has sent a message to the Dirt Late Model World that he is a serious contender when ever he races. Last year, many of us overlooked Brian Birkhofer coming into the Silver Dollar Nationals. A word of caution! Don't overlook John Blankenship.

The Third Annual Silver Dollar Nationals starts Thursday, July 18 at I-80 Speedway with the SLMR Dirt Series, the Nebraska 360 Sprints and B Mods along with open practice for the Super Late Models and USMTS Modifieds. Racing starts at 7:15 pm. Friday will see a complete USMTS Central Region Show and double Qualifying races for the Super Late Models. Saturday is the finale, another complete USMTS program with B Features, the Belt Bash for non-qualifiers and the 80 lap, $27,000 to win Super Late Model feature.

I-80 Speedway is located just north of Interstate 80 Exit #420, halfway between Omaha and Lincoln. For more information, please call (402)-342-3453.