PDA

View Full Version : Turning vs sliding? Do I have it all wrong???

jsf74
07-22-2013, 10:52 PM
I'm almost embarrased to ask this but I need something cleared up. On corner entry people use the term "the car takes a seat" and begins to "rotate". What exactly are they talking about. For the longest time I've thought you enter the corner and get the rear to slide a bit and drive thru the corner counter steering a bit and controlling the slide with the gas. The more I read watch and research i think I have it all wrong. Are the rear tires supposed to stay hooked up the whole time? Kind of like pavement cars now.

juice87
07-23-2013, 09:08 AM
there referring to going into the corner getting off the gas.(that's when the car takes a seat) then you turn and weight from left to right transfers (rotate) moving your j bar or changing spring and ride heights or lead will change center of gravity which will help car rotate.

modracr41
07-23-2013, 09:12 AM
I'm almost embarrased to ask this but I need something cleared up. On corner entry people use the term "the car takes a seat" and begins to "rotate". What exactly are they talking about. For the longest time I've thought you enter the corner and get the rear to slide a bit and drive thru the corner counter steering a bit and controlling the slide with the gas. The more I read watch and research i think I have it all wrong. Are the rear tires supposed to stay hooked up the whole time? Kind of like pavement cars now.

You don't want the tires to lose traction or slide through the corner. You want to drive in, through the middle, and off the corner. Setting up the car up so that your tires have the right amount of traction at the right moment is the key. Also, the rear set up your running has a great impact on this. If you're running a 4-bar/4-bar, the amount of rear steer helps this tremendously. A leaf car where there is no rear steer has to give up traction at certain points or the car wouldn't turn. It's a balancing act to say the least. I hope this helps. Good-luck.

LITE-INN
07-23-2013, 11:50 AM
this gives modracr41 a woody http://www.4m.net/showthread.php?304958-IMCA-Open-motor-guys-Question-about-this-years-performance