PDA

View Full Version : handling help?

redracersmod
07-25-2013, 09:29 AM
I have a dw7 2 link being run as a sport mod. the car handles great on a dry slick which is what the track always is when the feature comes around. The car is super tight though when its tacky. I'm new to this so I'm looking at ways to loosen the car up when the track is tacky. The car doesn't want to set into the corner and pushes all the way through the corner.

Sportmod Rookie
07-25-2013, 10:28 AM
Where are brakes set at? Move more to the rear would be the easiest adjustment.

speedbuggy
07-25-2013, 10:58 AM
You might try spacing the RR and LF out for the tacky, then put them back for the slick.

racinjj
07-25-2013, 11:30 AM
You can lower the left trailing arm, raise the right side trailing arm to give more roll steer, take some bite out, raise the panhard bar, all will free the car up in different ways.

redracersmod
07-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Would you guys explain what to expect from each adjustment. And how much it would affect the car. also how much should a guy move the panhard at a time? An inch, half inch, 1/8 of an inch?Sorry if I sound dumb but I'm trying to learn so not only can I be a competitive racer but also so I don't tear up other guys cars by doing the wrong thing.

racinjj
07-25-2013, 02:21 PM
Move the panhard bar in 1/2" increments until you find what you like. Raising the panhard bar will make the car roll less in the rear and which may tighten entry slightly but will loosen the car mid turn. Taking bite out for me has almost no change on entry but will free the car up on throttle and tends to slow down the LR hike. Lowering teh LR trailing arm will reduce the hike and thus take drive away from the LR which will make the car looser. I come to the track with my car setup loose for the normal tacky track in the heat and then I do the oposite of the changes above to tighten the car when the track slicks off.

speedbuggy
07-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Would you guys explain what to expect from each adjustment. And how much it would affect the car. also how much should a guy move the panhard at a time? An inch, half inch, 1/8 of an inch?Sorry if I sound dumb but I'm trying to learn so not only can I be a competitive racer but also so I don't tear up other guys cars by doing the wrong thing.

Spacing the LF and RR out will lower your dynamic cross weight (in the turns, it makes your springs behave like they are softer) which should free up the car. The advantage is that it's easy and you aren't messing with the base setup. There are some folks on here that tune their car only with wheel offsets.

Dirtrunner35
07-25-2013, 06:41 PM
wouldn't spacing the RR out put more dynamic cross in the car

1Blacksheep
07-25-2013, 07:31 PM

Yup, that's what i'm thinking . Problem will get worse with that adjustment. Unless we are talking a reverse wedge setup to start with ? 2 link normally is wedged up static to have any drive at all dynamic.

speedbuggy
07-25-2013, 10:01 PM

Yes, you are right... I gotta start paying more attention. My fingers sometimes don't type what my head is thinking. It would put MORE dynamic cross which should loosen turn entry. Thanks for keeping me straight. I just wanted the OP to know that wheel offsets are an easy option that doesn't mess with the base setup.

Also, I'm assuming if he can get the car loosened up on entry, he may be able to get off the corner better kinda automatically.

redracersmod
07-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Thank you guys for the help. I'm going to have to give the sujestions a try because my car doesn't work well when the tracks heavy it starts from corner entry all the way around.

$LITE-INN$
07-26-2013, 10:08 PM
if you want win you follow the program like all other ump racers who fast if not you beat by the program. do research and see ump national champ used program if its good for him are you better?

redracersmod
08-02-2013, 10:20 PM
OK I know if I adjust the pan hard bar I need to keep the rear end centered. But if I adjust the left trailing arm do I just move it and not adjust the adjustment sleeve or do I need to adjust the sleeve so it stays the same distance

racing_kid
08-03-2013, 01:09 AM
adjust the angle and keep the rear end squared

redracersmod
08-03-2013, 10:39 AM
So your saying I need to adjust it so the rear end doesn't move in the chassis just like you do with the pan hard bar

robbie124
08-04-2013, 01:26 AM
In my opion u don't want to take lr bite out when its tacky defently when the track is goin to slickin off I ran a limited modiFied. Last year and I know how hard it ids to keep them freed up with the amount of hourse power u can have what hElped me was actually putting more left rear in the car wich freed me up goin in and Unless u can get in the corner good it don't matter what u done the rest of the way around gettin in is the most important part of turning more lr bite will also help tightin u up coming off the corner so u can bout flat foot it once the car turns and I also kept most of my brake bias to the rear when u get this down then u can start moving bars around to fine tune it some and also every body drives diffrent so don't just ask 15 diff ppl at the track how to adjust ur car cause ur goin to get 15 diff answer stick to one method and figure it out that's how I did it advise is good but ur the one that has to drive it. Hope this helps pm me if u need anything else I'd be glad to help u I've been there

jsf74
08-05-2013, 12:21 PM
I think Robbie is correct. I run a ump mod but I am WAY underpowered compared to everyone else. If I don't get in good everything else is junk. When the track is tacky I literally can flat foot it mid turn off. I hate not being able to get the car throttle loose but it's the way it is. Like he said Stick to one or two good people helping and work from there.