PDA

View Full Version : ride height question

dfhotlm33c
07-25-2013, 12:53 PM
So, my father decided, after I had the car completely set up with correct ride heights and scaling, to examine the ride heights the "old school" way, as in from the frame rail to the ground. He measured behind the front tires, where the frame rail straightens out, and then in front of the rear tires, where the rail ends. He determined that the left side was about an inch higher up than the right. I explained that this is normal. He retorted that the thinking has always been to have the right side frame rail higher than the left. Is this old thinking? With the ride heights set as per setup sheets, the bar angles are exactly where they should be when in neutral positions, and the front end settings work out well. We have always run these heights, and the right side shock travel indicators have always been pretty close..about 1/2-1" from bottoming out. I struggled for an explanation. Help..

StuckInReverse
07-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Around 1 to 1-1/2" of rake is the only thing I've every measured on the frame rails. Never compared left to right as a setup basis. You would have to know if the rails are in the same plane or not, if the right is raised, etc before simply comparing them. Without that info, what does the measurement even mean?

dfhotlm33c
07-25-2013, 03:40 PM
I agree. Just looking to see if anyone else measured this way at some point. Just looking for a way to explain that it's either correct, or not relevant, since everything else is ok.

4bangerhotrod
07-26-2013, 12:19 AM
I would be more worried about having that much travel left in the RF shock. That's alot of weight transfer an sidebite that's not getting used.

rubbinsracin
07-26-2013, 08:59 AM
after reading this i looked last night. our frame rails are almost even, w/in a 1/16" left to right. but we have a raised right frame rail car so that might be part of it. we have about 1 1/4" rake also.

i wouldnt worry to much about having that much left of shock travel. we have about 1/2" left without a bump on. however, i will say i like the car better on the bump, as long as there isnt mega potholes on the track.