PDA

View Full Version : Smith Reminisces Family Heritage Winning Toccoa Speedway

FASTRAKPR
07-28-2013, 09:04 AM
David Smith Reminisces Family Heritage Winning Toccoa Speedway’s Shriner Benefit Race and Ends the FASTRAK Different Winner Streak at Seven

**FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE** July 28th, 2013 FASTRAK PR

(Toccoa, Georgia) – David Smith has the Toccoa Speedway in his bloodline. His grandfather Charlie Mize was a longtime promoter of the speedway, and his father Glen Smith often raced his way into victory lane at the quirky 5/16-mile oval.

On Saturday night, Smith added to his family history tradition in Toccoa, taking his first ever checkered flag at Toccoa and the $2,000 check in the FASTRAK City Chevrolet Southeast Tour Shriners Benefit 40. It was an even special victory lane celebrations also as his Father Glen Smith was present to greet and triumph with his son as the stars also gleamed above the 5/16th mile facility in the Georgia night.

Smith said in victory lane. “There’s obviously a lot of heritage for us here, it always suits me when I come here, but to win here on the FASTRAK Tour that just makes this place mean so much more.” With his second win of the season, Smith gave a bright prognosis moving forward. “We’ve struggled the first bit of the year, but I think we’ve found something,” he said. “We’re really looking forward to the rest of the year.” closed David Smith.

David Smith also became the first repeat winner in the FASTRAK City Chevrolet Touring Division Southeast Tour this 2013 season, which has seen seven different winners in eight races go to VP/ Hoosier Victory Lane. David McCoy chased him across the line to finish second, with Cla Knight, Matt Long and Lee Cooper rounding out the top five at Toccoa.

After the decision was made earlier in the day to take on Mother Nature head on to race it was the right decision. In recent races weather has halted or prevented anything to happen, that wasn’t the case for the Toccoa Shriners Benefit Race. David Smith started on the inside pole and never gave up the bottom anytime on the speedway nor did he give up the lead. It was a fairly clean race with three tries at an official start. Worst caution of the night was an incident between #4 Taylor Hicks locking horns off turn two with Ohio native #22 Charles “Boz” Daughtry. The other 3 cautions we’re for debris or drivers cutting down rubber.

While McCoy moved up to second past Knight on a mid-race restart, he was no match for Smith and he knew it as he admitted in post-race. “You’ll never see me hang my head when I run second to David Smith,” said McCoy, a Toccoa Speedway regular. “He’s a hell of a racecar driver.”

Points Leader going into the night #8 Ron Parker struggled the entire evening ending with a hit in the points lead and finishing 11th. In post-race conversation with FASTRAK PR he said the following, “I just don’t know what’s happening we have hit a slump lately, the car was just off, didn’t feel right at all tonight.” He continued with, “We definitely got to get the Paylor Motorsports Rocket back in the shop and the crew and I put our heads together to resolve it.” Parker concluded saying, “If I can get the Championship that’s a great bonus but I want a FASTRAK Touring win, the best of the best in crate racing is FASTRAK period, I want a win!!”

OFFICIAL RESULTS - TOCCOA, GA SPEEDWAY – Toccoa Shriners Benefit 40
(pending lab and tires sample results) FASTRAK Drivers Representing 4 States

1st #11 David Smith - SC
2nd #187 David McCoy - NC
3rd #42 Cla Knight – NC
4th #25 Matt Long - NC
5th #57 Lee Cooper - SC
6th #85 Hot Rod Lamance - SC
7th ‪#‎2b‬ Frankie Beard – GA
8th ‪#‎22d‬ Jordan Dill – SC
9th #38 Jamie Oliver – NC
10th #371 Drew Benfield – GA
11th #8 Ron Parker – NC
12th #4 Taylor Hicks – SC
13th #7 Trent Feltman – SC
14th #22 Charles “Boz” Daugherty – OH
15th #27 Mike Davidson – GA
16th #47 Benji Cole – GA
17th #28 Wayne Wilborn – GA
18th #93 Donald Bradsher – NC
19th ‪#‎A1‬ Jimmy Ivester – GA

Now the drivers of the “Nation’s First and Premier Pro Late Model Series in the Country will now prepare for the next event on August 16th at Cleveland County Speedway & Motorsports Complex for the 3rd Annual Bill Hendren Memorial Race – It’s going to be a BIG show as it’s been the last couple of seasons with $2,000 to win and also the mega list of Bonus Monies and Contingencies that will be up for grabs. Last year every driver got a bonus in some way for attending in what has become one of the most prestigious races to win in the South for the pro late model stars. Visit www.clevlandcountyspeedway.com for all information on this event.

Stay tuned to www.fastrakracing.com as well as the FASTRAK Racing Series Fan Page on Facebook and/or follow @FASTRAK_Racing on Twitter to get up to the minute news and details as they become available.

FASTRAK Companies International would like to thank all of its marketing partners for their great and continuing support. Those 2013 FASTRAK Southeast/Mideast sponsors include: Hoosier Race Tires, VP Racing Fuel, City Chevrolet, Chevrolet Performance Parts, Vicci Apparel, TNT Race Cars, Rocket Chassis, Genesis Race Shocks, High Velocity Heads and RockAuto.com to our line-up of product sponsors. If you are interested in becoming a sponsor of the Premier Pro Late Model Series in the Country please contact Stan Lester at the FASTRAK Corporate Office at (678) 935-7304 or Brian Haynes at (706) 340-4781.