PDA

View Full Version : What use would I have for a 3" backspace wheel?

racerj5
07-28-2013, 09:33 PM
The car I bought had wheels and tires and there is one decent looking beadlock wheel, it its a 3" backspace and all the others are 5". where would this be an asset or liability?

Matt49
07-29-2013, 12:15 PM
If it was on a car that someone was selling, you likely got the 4 wheels they wanted/needed the least.
Most common use of a 3" backspace wheel would be on the LR but you usually wouldn't want or need to run an outer beadlock there.
Some guys will go to a 3" offset LR when the track slicks off and they don't have time to make other changes.

racin6mod
07-29-2013, 09:19 PM
same is true if you put a 3 inch bs on the rr it frees the car up for heavy tracks. it's good to have one for quick tuning at the track.

racerj5
07-29-2013, 09:27 PM
So if I'm reading what both of you are saying correctly, widening the rear track width on the left tightens the car and widening on the right frees it up? Would using this wheel be the same as using a 2" spacer?

Matt49
07-30-2013, 06:52 AM
Pretty much

racin6mod
07-30-2013, 06:30 PM
yes but if you got a wheel it's a nice tuning tool. we used one on the rr for hot laps and the heat race and put the 5'' bs on for the feature with the better tire to also save wear on it.

SS Motorsports
07-30-2013, 09:01 PM
What you have is a cheap alternative to a tire prep stand.

Dragoon55
07-31-2013, 03:55 AM
Older BWRC cars(Mid 90's) used a 3" back space wheel on the RF.

racerj5
08-01-2013, 12:10 AM
Older BWRC cars(Mid 90's) used a 3" back space wheel on the RF.What effect would this have on a mid 90s GRT? Only experience I've had setup wise is an go karts. Widening the track on the lf helped the kart turn in better. Widening it on the rf made it push like a dump truck.

4bangerhotrod
08-01-2013, 04:25 AM
It will basicly do the same thing on a car. Some people run spacers on RR or LR an I've seen them on the RF before but i feel there just a crutch an i have never used one

powerslide
08-01-2013, 09:13 AM
It will basicly do the same thing on a car. Some people run spacers on RR or LR an I've seen them on the RF before but i feel there just a crutch an i have never used one

Please tell us how its a crutch? Everything in this game is a compromise, its whatever you can do to get you around the track the fastest that night. Its a very fast simple change, if needed, make it. Its easier than moving a j-bar, moving a piece of lead, moving a 4link bar et al. I get tired of this its a "Crutch" talk. Everything is a crutch to get the car to turn or to hook up.

racin6mod
08-01-2013, 06:25 PM
What effect would this have on a mid 90s GRT? Only experience I've had setup wise is an go karts. Widening the track on the lf helped the kart turn in better. Widening it on the rf made it push like a dump truck.

same thing as moving the lr out. only it take rf side bite out and that causes a push most of the time moving the lr out is a better adjustment. according to joe garrison's book moving the wheel out 2'' move 22 to 25 pounds to the opposite side of the car.

4bangerhotrod
08-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Sorry to get under your skin by calling it a crutch lol. I just feel that if the car needs a different offset wheel that means there something not right on my setup. And if the car is going to gain speed with the offset i can gain even more speed having the right setup on. I think the only cars that should use offsets for setup changes are mini stocks or any car with a factory based suspension

racin6mod
08-03-2013, 08:45 AM
To each his own but we all know there is no one perfect set up that gets you threw the entire night at a dirt track so we all use tuning tools(crutches) to get the car to handle for the track condition.