PDA

View Full Version : Shocks

7uptruckracer
07-29-2013, 05:13 PM
What's the difference in a HSR (high speed rebound), and Tie Down, and a Tie Down Digressive Rebound

JR. MECHANIC
07-29-2013, 09:11 PM
There a plenty of different curves out there for shocks. I would consider high speed rebound at around 15"/sec. If you are talking about an AFCO HSR, it does not have a ton of low speed rebound, but has more high speed control then their standard shock. A tie down digressive , should have a lot of low speed control, but then blow off. Example: it might be 500# at 1" but only be 550 at 10"/sec. I would say that a standard tie down would have quite a bit low speed control and moderate gain throughout high speed.

7uptruckracer
07-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Thanks that was my thought why are people going to HSR over tie downs more rough track friendly, or more feel?

JR. MECHANIC
07-29-2013, 09:37 PM
To get to high shock speeds it has to pass through the lower speeds first. Too much low speed control on a rough track will ratchet down and make for a teeth rattling ride.

7uptruckracer
07-30-2013, 07:11 AM
This year from crew chiefing asphalt, we tried a high rebound setup (800#s at 1"/sec) on a digressive it sure did ratchet down, broke a shock mount too :) thanks for the info it went along with my thinking, I still don't know why someone would run a digressive tie down, I guess its just a really high rebound at low speeds with a blow off at high speeds. THanks for the info I'll look into it more

let-r-eat
07-30-2013, 06:25 PM
Good info there. Hi and Low speed is the preferred adjustments if possible. $$$$$$$ as sad as it is.

JR. MECHANIC
07-30-2013, 10:09 PM
I am not 100% sure on the digressive tie down either.... I know most asphalt fronts are like this. I also know that you can typically build a shock with more "clamp" force if you build digressive rebound. I suppose that it is possible that there are situations where you might need a lot of low speed on the RF to help the car turn, but don't want to add a lot of high speed damping in fear of the suspension not returning fast enough over bumps. Bit then again, it has to pass through 1"/sec before it sees higher speeds.

TALON75
07-31-2013, 03:29 AM
It kinda has to be digressive when you are dealing with higher numbers at slow speeds. If you were to build the shock number mentioned above, 800@ 1"/sec, with a linear curve it would probably be at 3000@ 10"/sec, and that would be bad!!lol I think 1" numbers are useless in dirt racing, hell rolling through the pits your working it more than that!

JustAddDirt
07-31-2013, 09:15 AM
I went to a digressive on the RF because the linear shock would build rate with higher piston speeds, and the RF wheel was leaving the track if the surface was not relatively smooth. I had go-pro on bumper watching the RF.
This was on a UMP mod, but same principal should generally apply.

LateModel B23
07-31-2013, 09:44 AM
I put a set of AFCO Silver Series bulb - non schrader valved - on a USRA/USMTS type modifed. The guy ran them one night, took them off and put his digressive Bilsteins back on. The AFCO's were the same #'s as the Bilsteins, he said the car felt like it had no suspension what so ever on it, just solid on all four corners.

JR. MECHANIC
08-01-2013, 04:24 PM
I put a set of AFCO Silver Series bulb - non schrader valved - on a USRA/USMTS type modifed. The guy ran them one night, took them off and put his digressive Bilsteins back on. The AFCO's were the same #'s as the Bilsteins, he said the car felt like it had no suspension what so ever on it, just solid on all four corners.

Out of curiosity, who built those?

LateModel B23
08-01-2013, 04:30 PM
Tried to send you a PM. Says your mailbox is full.