PDA

View Full Version : IMCA sport mod steering components

regor
07-30-2013, 03:42 PM
My inner tie rod on the drivers side is rubbing the frame. I haven't hit anything, but I did adjust the caster/camber. Any sugestions?

Duckhnter83
07-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Where is it rubbing? The cross member or actual frame rail? If its the cross member you probably bent the center link. If its the frame do you have spacers at the spindle to drop your outer tie rods down to clear the frame?

regor
07-30-2013, 06:36 PM
It hits the cross member. The center link is the same as the old one I had last year. It looks like I could use a shorter pitman arm. Mine is 6.5. His was 6, but the center hole was too small.

Duckhnter83
07-30-2013, 07:02 PM
If your pitman armis longer than the one that came off it then that could be your problem as it would push the center link back toward the cross member. What front stub do you have? I just went through the same problem on my sport mod although I didn't switch a pitman arm out. But I bent the center link and not sure how it got bent but it caused my tie rod to hit the center section. Even with a new center link the tie rods are close to the cross member.

regor
07-30-2013, 07:33 PM
No, what I'm saying is my current pitman arm is 6.5. I tried to put a shorter one on but the hole was too small for the spline. If I could have fit it on there, it would have given me a little gap between the tie rods and the crossmember. I wonder if I could cut my pitman arm down and weld it back together?

Duckhnter83
07-30-2013, 11:14 PM
I wouldn't cut that and weld it your asking to get put in the wall when it breaks. What front stub does your car have? Who made it? I bet you have something bent if nothing has changed and its all the sudden rubbing. Like I said my car bent the center link and caused it to rub. You couldn't tell it was bent by looking at it. My money is on the center link or your frames tweaked. That's really the only two things that could cause the inner tie rod to rub the cross member.

regor
07-31-2013, 06:36 PM
I've been measuring and it looks like the spindle is bent at least a quarter inch, if not more. I tried lining up a spindle saver an it is at least a quarter inch off.