PDA

View Full Version : Moving RF out?

Mod66x
08-01-2013, 08:56 PM
What would be the effect of moving everything on the rf out about 1"-2" ? Keeping caster and camber the same. Just installing a longer lower and upper.

hpmaster
08-01-2013, 09:26 PM
You would change more than you think. Roll center, bump steer and camber gain right off the top of my head. Before doing some thing like that you need to get a good front end program and plot what the changes would affect.

stevo
08-02-2013, 03:02 PM
The tire towards the wall will go to the wall.so will be tighter.move rr out car will send rear to wall.loose,move rf out and the rf will go to wall,tight.

jedclampit
08-02-2013, 08:01 PM
What would be the effect of moving everything on the rf out about 1"-2" ? Keeping caster and camber the same. Just installing a longer lower and upper.

You'll need a longer rack/center link also to keep rf tie rod in the correct arc and not put bump steer out to lunch. the car should have more forward drive when driven back steered thru the bend.......... And it may not fit into your trailer anymore if an enclosed!

racerj5
08-02-2013, 09:09 PM
The tire towards the wall will go to the wall.so will be tighter.move rr out car will send rear to wall.loose,move rf out and the rf will go to wall,tight.That may just be the best explanation I've ever heard. Thanks, Stevo.

hpmaster
08-03-2013, 04:51 PM
I have to disagree with the past poster that you will need a different or longer rack. Oval track chassis builders, virtually every one I can think of, generally minimize bump steer by locating the rack pivot centers (the inner tie rod ends) directly in front of the lower control arm pivots. If you do not change the distance between the lower control arm pivots, leftside and rightside lower control arm pivots as viewed from the front you do not have to change the length of the rack. I have changed several cars exactly as first stated, a longer upper and lower control arm, and several with a different combination of control arm lengths. While it can slightly change bump steer it was easily corrected with a small spacer. Of course you will need a longer tie rod to set toe.

let-r-eat
08-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Agree with HP master. The length of the tie rod doesn't matter. The inner pivot location matters for rack length and not the length of the tie rods. You will see roll center changes that could effect the car any number of ways depending on final motion ratio etc.

jedclampit
08-04-2013, 12:12 PM
I have to disagree with myself also! The above posts are spot on.

I had it in my head that the rf was being moved out, inner pivot points included. Quick reply's while your @ work aren't a good thing.