PDA

View Full Version : Birdcage location question

Plantintaters
08-04-2013, 10:41 AM
I am installing a set of bearing birdcages on a 4 bar car and have questions as to exactly where to line them up in relation to the 4 bar mounts on the chassis. My old birdcages had the option to float the caliper bracket on the birdcage. I had the brake brackets clamped so the caliper brackets served as the retainer clamp on the brake side of the cage. The new ones have the bearings towards the center on both sides. There is several inches of space between the caliper clamp bracket and the cage now. Should I set them up using the rotors as a measuring point and measure back to the trailing arm mount? This is a GRT type car with 34-35 tubes. I have seen some cars with the 4 bars angled when static. With all the potentialy different mounting locations is this an area for expeirment or is the location pretty standard?

Thanks

junebug
08-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Grt should have a measurement for ya on where to put them...if not I would put them on so that the rear of the arms is just slightly wider then the fronts...that way threw travel side to side they never have to cross over 0 degrees

racin29
08-06-2013, 12:32 PM
shock points are the most important part of the location, if you want them to be the same as old first make sure the 4 bar mount offset to shock mount is the same. if the same measure your old ones from rotor to center of shock mount and put the new ones on in same location and all will be good. if the 4 bar mount offset is not the same then still align the same but you will have to make sure your RR trail is correct. that being said you dont want a massive angle in the 4 bars either but some is acceptable. if this is a grt type car and these are grt type birdcages then this is not an issue and just align with the shock mounts.

lindsey97
08-06-2013, 07:32 PM
GRT has specific measurements. Buddy of mine just went through that. Don't know who he talked to but someone there have him pages on pages of setup tech. Call them instead of guessing.