PDA

View Full Version : Front Spring Split

LateModel B23
08-04-2013, 03:17 PM
09 Shaw, 4 bar, Chevelle stub. This is just a couple of "what-if" questions about front springs and front split on the springs. I will mention that the track is a black dirt, usually heavy 1/2 mile with sweeping somewhat high bank corners - Devils Bowl in TX to be specific. Book calls for 600LF and 650RF. With those springs the car seemed to want to slide the RF to the right more than it wants the allow the RF to help turn the car. I dropped the RF to a 600 and it seemed better, but it now seems the car is going onto the RF really fast and almost creating a plowing type effect that is loosening exit, especially in turn2.

So, what about there being no split in the front of one of these cars? I thought about going to a 625 of the RF. What about also going to a 575LF at the same time.

I have setup many a winning late model at this track over the years, but this is my first time working with a 4 bar modified. Car is decent, driver is doing okay, consistently can be a top 5 car. But it seems to be off just a little and I have narrowed to doing some tuning possibly on the front end.

Any thoughts?

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-04-2013, 05:39 PM
09 Shaw, 4 bar, Chevelle stub. This is just a couple of "what-if" questions about front springs and front split on the springs. I will mention that the track is a black dirt, usually heavy 1/2 mile with sweeping somewhat high bank corners - Devils Bowl in TX to be specific. Book calls for 600LF and 650RF. With those springs the car seemed to want to slide the RF to the right more than it wants the allow the RF to help turn the car. I dropped the RF to a 600 and it seemed better, but it now seems the car is going onto the RF really fast and almost creating a plowing type effect that is loosening exit, especially in turn2.

So, what about there being no split in the front of one of these cars? I thought about going to a 625 of the RF. What about also going to a 575LF at the same time.

I have setup many a winning late model at this track over the years, but this is my first time working with a 4 bar modified. Car is decent, driver is doing okay, consistently can be a top 5 car. But it seems to be off just a little and I have narrowed to doing some tuning possibly on the front end.

Any thoughts?

Why not put the 650 on the left and the 600 on the rf?

LateModel B23
08-04-2013, 05:49 PM
I thought about that - going with the 650 on the LF, but corner entry is good and I was concerned about tightening that with a stiffer LF

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-04-2013, 08:59 PM
I thought about that - going with the 650 on the LF, but corner entry is good and I was concerned about tightening that with a stiffer LF

From your description, I assumed corner entry was on the gas.

LateModel B23
08-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Sorry about that. Entry is okay, it is more of an "on-throttle" from just past the center of the turn untill exit.

let-r-eat
08-05-2013, 03:00 PM
I see this. Steer is ratcheting down when off the throttle causing a tight condition. Some people trailbrake etc to keep the car on the bars to prevent this and others change the way they drive.