PDA

View Full Version : Lesson about tires?

dfhotlm33c
08-05-2013, 09:47 AM
The scenario:

Heat race:
LR: 90/11 spec 1200 tire, 87"
RR: 92/11 C3000 1200 tire, 91" Wide as heck, like 16" section width, 6 blocks of tread across.

Car tight as all heck. Had to throw it in corner hard to even get it to rotate, and even then it was fighting me like crazy. Don't think I countersteered more than a few times, and that was because I forced it to snap loose with brake and throttle.

I took 1.5 rounds of wedge out (1.5 out of LR, 1.5 into RR, .75 into RF, .75 into LF), so went from 110 to about 80 pounds of bite. No other adjustments.

Feature:
LR 28.5/11 economy 1300 tire. 87 3/8". Same width as the tire from heat race.
RR 29/11 NRM 1325 grooved and siped 91 5/8" (So 4.25" stagger). Much narrower tire than heat race tire, by at least 2"

Car was pretty much dead on, even a hair loose off. Overall, waaaaay more driveable. The track had not changed much at all between heat and feature (Eriez speedway). Maybe just a touch slicker, but still plenty of bite left. All tires had only one race on them prior to this night. All had been scrubbed, cleaned and scuffed.

The question: Did I just learn my first real lesson about tires and construction? I can't imagine that 30 pounds of bite and .25" of stagger would make that much of a difference. It was literally night and day. Did the massive RR tire generate so much side bite that it was making me tight as heck during the heat? I have a new rib 1200 I can use for next week that is similar width to the feature tire from this week. Should I use that and expect similar handling?

let-r-eat
08-05-2013, 02:49 PM
What does more grip on a corner do to that corner?

06Tireman
08-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Put a set of ribs on the rear.. You can stay with the wide RR rib.. But try a rib LR for the heat race.. Then go with a rib RR and a spec LR for the feature.. The LR rib for the heat race will free the car up a little bit in the mud and take some traction away so your not as tight.. Then the spec LR will snug ya back up a bit when the track gets a little slick to take the loose feeling away. Buff them both off with 38 grit paper using a buffer before you cut them and NOT a grinder.. Use a #2 blade on your cut line and to split that.. Then sipe them as many as 5 times across each block..

fastford
08-07-2013, 07:41 AM
no more of a change than you made, i would still bet the track came to you, if from heat to feature you were that much better. take it back this week just like you left last week and see what it does,

manwplan
08-07-2013, 10:20 AM
going from a RIB to a Spec LR will not change anything. Talk to any Hoosier rep. Spec is a RIB tire with grooves. Only differences you will see is the Spec is a little tougher because of the factory edge compared to a grooved edge. Hoosier reps recommend for a 1300 or harder tire rule race running RIB LR in qualifying and Spec in the feature