PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Bert transmission

fordracer7
08-07-2013, 07:42 PM
We slid the transmission back while we changed engines. We left the clutch line hooked up. When we put everything back together now the transmission will not go into low gear. Reverse works fine and we can get into high gear. We checked everything we can think of. We pulled the transmission out and took the side cover off. Everything looks fine. Any body have any suggestions? Friday is race day and we'er running out of time!

rubbinsracin
08-08-2013, 12:08 PM
did you move the shift lever or adjust the linkage the same amount that you slid the motor back? I made this mistake one time.

C10
08-08-2013, 01:02 PM
is it running when you shift it? Sometimes they will not go into low when not turning.

fordracer7
08-08-2013, 01:10 PM
did you move the shift lever or adjust the linkage the same amount that you slid the motor back? I made this mistake one time.

We disconnected the drive shaft and shifter linkages and slid the transmission back to the x. We didn't adjust anything and that's what's got use confused. When I pull the shifter into low gear from neutral it barely moves.

rubbinsracin
08-08-2013, 02:29 PM
you need to asjust the shifter by either moving the whole shifter back in the coc|< pit back or shorten the linkage the amount you moved the motor back or half and half...

I did the exact same thing 2 years ago. if you slid everthing else back you need to move it too.

fordracer7
08-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Everything was put back in it's original position when the new engine was put in.

Lizardracing
08-08-2013, 10:57 PM
Is this with the engine running or not running?

racin6mod
08-09-2013, 06:16 PM
don't know if you got it going or not but it sounds like the shifter rod got bent or the lever it's self is bent which would change the throw of the shifter.

fordracer7
08-10-2013, 10:22 AM
We found the problem. We had it "professionaly" rebuilt during the off season. Our "professional" left a hugh gobb of silicone inside the case. I guess when we took it loose and slide it back it broke free and stopped it from going in gear. Thanks for all the help.