PDA

View Full Version : set up software

Norton22
08-10-2013, 11:43 AM
Can some tell me a good setup software to use or have one for sale

thanks for any help

84Dave
08-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Bob Bolles, of Chassis R&D, has the most/best advanced software. Try pitstop.com or racingsoftware.com . There are (2) different programs. One is the "Advanced Chassis GEOMETRY Software". The other is "Advanced Chassis SET-UP Software". -Dave-

Norton22
08-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Thanks Dave which one do you recommend for a mustang ministock we need to get handling better

84Dave
08-10-2013, 09:04 PM
The GEOMETRY software primarily addresses the front suspension. The SETUP software addresses the entire chassis. If your race schedule permits, & you don't require a chassis fix before next weekend, and you don't have the Bolles book, I highly recommend his "Stock Car Setup Secrets" book. It addresses both pavement & dirt. ISBN: 1-55788-401-3 . Again, try pitstopusa.com or Amazon for the book. Compared to the book, the software is very expensive. And it took us quite awhile to get used to working with the software. Like all software, you must watch the 'garbage in-garbage out' situation. And depending on your Rules, it's guaranteed you'd have to modify a boat-load of chassis hardware to get it working at its best. Particularly the front geometry. -Dave-

Norton22
08-11-2013, 07:28 AM
I just got his advance race car chassis technology book this week

Buckle
08-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Norton and Dave, I bought both software packages last year for my pinto ministock. Unfortunately I can't say that it made the car handle any better for the time, effort and $$ spent. I used the entire winter getting the car at ride height, plumb bobbing all the points to within 1/8", finding BJ centers of rotation, establishing chassis centerline, etc. I moved LCA mounts around, tried longer extended ball joints, etc. to get the static and dynamic RC to locations suggested by Bolles. No chassis binds, rear was square in car, ackerman and bump was addressed. Unless you know the CG of your car and how much it dives and rolls, you're not going to get an accurate picture of what's going on.
The geometry program does NOT address McPherson Strut cars (mustangs), so buyer beware.