PDA

View Full Version : Clipping pros and cons

jsf74
08-25-2013, 09:24 AM
Looking at a car that could possibly be fixed with a new clip. Has anyone had expierence with this and was the car the same afterwards?

Confused?
08-25-2013, 11:46 AM
It's done a lot. Nothing uncommen. Whether it's the same or not after depends on if it is installed like it was before.

Krooser
08-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Been done for 40 years... or more. I clipped my LM in '72.

Works fine if the clip is hung where it should be.

racin6mod
08-25-2013, 12:52 PM
I've put front clips on and rear clips .when you dealing with a modified it's not near the issue a lm would have do to the points were the new clip is welded in.

Besides all that now day's it's updating the chassis.

zeroracing
08-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Use your head and a calculator, I have heard of guys multiple times "put a new front and rear stub on, only spent 2,500..." Or some other amount that is close to a new chassis. If your spending 50%+ of a new chassis cost you may want to just buy a new chassis and move your bolt on parts over.

JHobbs26
08-26-2013, 01:03 AM
I agree with what zero says. depends how much you can buy the chassis for and what i'll cost to have it clipped, sometimes its just a few more $$$ for a brand new chassis.

But to the original question, nothing wrong with clipping a car, especially if its done on the chassis builders jig. Even the nascar boys will bend one up and reclip them.

HEAVY DUTY
08-26-2013, 08:50 AM
I agree with what zero says. depends how much you can buy the chassis for and what i'll cost to have it clipped, sometimes its just a few more $$$ for a brand new chassis.

But to the original question, nothing wrong with clipping a car, especially if its done on the chassis builders jig. Even the nascar boys will bend one up and reclip them.

A car is fine after being clipped on the jig ( that it was built on originally ), as long as every thing that was bent is cut off and replaced. It is hard on a chassis to pull it on a frame straightener, because it stresses everything it is pulling against, although it is a good way to get back on track in a hurry. A chassis that has been wrecked hard has a lot of stress in it from the wreck, even where it is straight. That stress eventually causes cracks, and changes the stiffness or flex of a chassis. If you have a chassis that has been clipped a couple of times, and straightened , bent or twisted in the middle, I would consider replacing it. Especially if it is more than 3 or 4 years old. Another thing to think about is, If you spend a couple thousand fixing a chassis, could you get enough out of it bare to cover the bill? Most use bare chassis sell for less than the repair bill. These are just the pros and cons of clipping a car. It is up to the owner as to what to do to a car. Keep in mind that a 2000 model car that was clipped in 2013, is still a 2000 model and is not worth any more than a straight 2000 model that hasn't been clipped.