PDA

View Full Version : Chain too short?

missile07
09-09-2013, 07:53 AM
What would be the effects of having the left rear chain limiter too short?

The chain was accidentally moved one more hole than needed and only let the left rear top bar have 38 degrees angle at full drop. Car felt like it was just sitting on top of the ground spinning & wasn't getting into pullbar at all.

oldtrackchamp4x
09-09-2013, 10:19 AM
The effects would be what you said in your last sentence. JMO

7uptruckracer
09-09-2013, 10:42 AM
What he said... Your limiting bar angle gain on both Left side bars so less Loose Roll Steer, but more importantly less Left Upper bar angle and LR drive from the gain and I lower CG as well.

missile07
09-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Again this wasn't done on purpose but by quickly measuring I think it would have had about 3.25 inches of drop.

drive3b
09-09-2013, 07:00 PM
I had the same issue and the car felt the same way you are describing, put the chain back and it was much, much better!

Aden8100
09-11-2013, 11:38 AM
What he said... Your limiting bar angle gain on both Left side bars so less Loose Roll Steer, but more importantly less Left Upper bar angle and LR drive from the gain and I lower CG as well.I am totally agree with you. Certain 2 facts on this page are unequivocally the best we have all had. You are 100% good here that but more importantly less Left Upper bar angle and LR drive from the gain and I lower CG as well.

fastford02
10-02-2013, 06:51 PM
how much bar angle is too much with car on jack stands? not sure if my chain is too short i have what it calls for but isnt rolling over or rr (skaty in corners on slick track). Is this something that will help?? Also, when track slicks off do you want to lengthen chain or shorten?

missile07
10-02-2013, 07:53 PM
After we dropped the chain one more hole it put us back at 45 degrees on the left rear top bar at full drop & seemed to solve the problem.

LFMotorsports
10-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Along with everyone else, seems all the comments are correct for your set-up. The shorter chain too come rear-steer out and less LR drive. The skating could have been with body roll, it was actually unloading the LR tire. We ran into this with too much body roll and lifting the LR off the track. Sounds like you have it figured out though.

As for FastFord02, they say 45 degrees is what to shoot for. Big thing is not to over index the birdcage and it balances what the RR is doing. Making the chain longer will give more rear steer (loosen the car) but more LR drive. Shorter, less roll steer but you may not notice the less LR drive. It's largely around how the car is driven on the slick and what the driver feels.

Its all a compromise and balance.