PDA

View Full Version : Engine Builders!! 2bbl Rochester engine build Help!!! Please!!

nedayboyz
09-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Ill start with the track rules.Carburetion is limited to 1 two-barrel Rochester carburetor. Maximum Venture opening is 1.250".350 CFMStock cast iron 2 barrel intake manifold mandatory. Cylinder heads - any cast iron 23 degree straight plug allowedNO angle spark plug heads. Stock cast iron block with visible casting numbers.Headers permissible.So we can run any cam we any (solid or roller)no compression rule, racing fuel is ok. I've have two blocks a 350 and a 400. I've read that the smaller ci motors are more efficient. and the 383 and 406 ci will run out of steam, due to the small carb. I'd like to build a big torque motor due to having a heavy car (3700#). I know that I should run as much compression as possible. and should Use the lightest stuff I can afford. Is a roller any benefit with that carb?Should I go with a set of Vortec heads or Darts heads? Should I build a 355, 377 or a 406?With the small carb and cast iron intake should I look at a cam that has more lift and duration on the intake side?What kind of #'s am I looking at with this small carb?

speedbuggy
09-10-2013, 10:14 AM
According to Willy's, an intake-restricted motor likes a long stroke, so I'd build a 395 ci (4.030 bore, 3.875 stroke).

You'll find a 2bbl cast iron vortec intake difficult to find, so go with the Darts. Talk to a cam grinder about the cam, but I would go with the roller.

You could still probably see 400 hp with this setup and very torque'y.

I think I have a rochester 2G built by Kinetic Performance, if you're interested. $200.