PDA

View Full Version : pinto spndles question

fastford02
10-02-2013, 06:47 PM
What is the difference between a stock pinto spindle and the 10 degree pin inclination spindle? What will this help effect?

Confused?
10-02-2013, 07:05 PM
The stock one is supposed to be 10*. Few of the are.

p20
10-02-2013, 10:34 PM
What about the 10.5 inclination spindles? And why do they make a 7 degree?

HEAVY DUTY
10-03-2013, 08:43 AM
The stock pinto spindles were 10 degree. The Chinese aftermarket spindles are ? all over the place. That is why some people are machining their own and calling them blueprinted. The 7 degree spindle is supposed to make the car steer better. It jacks less weight when turned and it has a longer scrub radius which should give more feel. It is not legal in some sanctioning bodies. ( IMCA, USRA, Wissota)

Lizardracing
10-03-2013, 03:56 PM
I also find them aftermarket ones tend to be made of inconsistent alloys and bend more easily as well as machine terribly. Many of them are made for Hot Rodders that utilize the ever popular Mustang/Mustang II setups where precision tolerances aren't as critical.

7uptruckracer
10-04-2013, 07:30 AM
I also find them aftermarket ones tend to be made of inconsistent alloys and bend more easily as well as machine terribly. Many of them are made for Hot Rodders that utilize the ever popular Mustang/Mustang II setups where precision tolerances aren't as critical.

Depends on which side of the car you run it on. On asphalt we will run a stock pinto on one side and run the aftermarket on the other (typically the left) It helps the weight jacking and other things like camber curve.

RaceTechKs
10-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Heavy Duty, is correct. They ARE NOT allowed in USRA or USMTS. This spring at the King of America Race we checked the top 5 Thursday Night and found some 7* spindles, and then Friday Night we checked every car that finished the A-Main 22 sets of spindles. It was amazing how many brand new Spindles there were on the cars Friday Night when we looked at them. We had a Jig built to check them with.....it works very well. But once you see these spindles and look at where they are drilled there very easy to spot by just looking at them. Here's the best thing of all, while checking them we did find a few of them that were bent and need replaced, once we showed them to the guys they thought checking tem was not so bad after that....

JustAddDirt
10-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post

I have said this all along, the Chinese stuff was made for the Hot Rodders, and the strength like racers need, are not needed by the street rod guys and their trailer queens (and the ones that drive their treasures too)

Depends on which side of the car you run it on. On asphalt we will run a stock pinto on one side and run the aftermarket on the other (typically the left) It helps the weight jacking and other things like camber curve.

I found that my car really liked the 7° spindle on the LF, and the 10° on the RF.
Made it turn in very nice.
I have heard hat the AFCO units are manufactured like the original Ford forged steel spindles.
Many of the other brands are cast, not Forged.

RACEMAN
10-08-2013, 01:02 PM
I'm turning to the best resource out there "The 4M". Question is - Is there a dependable source out there where the inclination angle is known and consistent.

Thanks gang.

Confused?
10-08-2013, 05:04 PM
If you're looking for outlaw stuff, AFCO. If they are for a sanctiong body, I haven't found any.