PDA

View Full Version : Track points, what do you win exactly?

Jeffery
10-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Finally finished in the top ten in points for the season at our track. Curious what exactly you win for this at the end of the year banquet? Is it just a trophy and recognition, or is there usually another prize of sorts awarded?

If all we get is a trophy, I doubt we ever run for points again. Too much effort for nothing, takes the fun out of it.

RACEMAN
10-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Depends on who's running the program. I know that's a really loaded comment but you really need to go back to your track and ask them.

As Burt Reynolds said in "Smoky and the Bandit" "We race for the glory, the girls,...but mostly for the money." :D

I started racing late in life and for me it was never about the money (although the pittance I received was appreciated). I really raced for the pleasure I got out of competing. The few times I DID win it was always great.

I would have to say that if you're only in it for the money then you better find some other activity that will reward you in the manner you think you should be rewarded. Racing at the local level will never pay the bills including just living a life.

RACEMAN
10-15-2013, 01:23 PM
"If all we get is a trophy, I doubt we ever run for points again. Too much effort for nothing, takes the fun out of it."

I think you've kind of got it wrong here.

Points racing builds your resume'. If you put the word out that you're not racing for points then future sponsors may not take you seriously. What are your goals as far as racing? I suspect you're still a young person with hopes and dreams of moving up the racing ladder. Don't ignore or poo-poo those time honored (and sometimes questionable) traditions and activities that all of us have had to endure over the course of our racing career.

Jeffery
10-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Not new to this, been racing for 5 years now, this is just the first time I ever tried to make every race.

Have no plans to ever move up from pure stocks. I'm not rich, and this class costs enough of my time and money.

I do not race for the money, but it helps. Not expecting anything, in fact I'm sure there wont be much if anything other than the recognition and trophy which is OK. I just doubt I ever try to race that much again if that is the case. Especially at the same track only like I did.

zeroracing
10-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Points are typically a joke, most pay almost nothing if anything and get a cheap trophy. Bigger series like a large sanction body or touring series may pay, but typically take more $$$ to win than you ever get. Especially entry level you typically you only get trophy...

Krooser
10-17-2013, 08:23 PM
My old racing partner from the 60's used to say..."you can't eat points"....