PDA

View Full Version : Brinn-Won't go into reverse with motor running

JJ128
10-19-2013, 01:44 PM
My Brinn will not go into reverse with the motor running, it grinds really bad when you even start to pull it toward reverse. No problem going into reverse without car running, no problem going into low gear with car running. Just seeing if somebody knows for sure what causes this so that I can order parts or know what to look for before I tear it apart.

AmickRacing
10-19-2013, 06:29 PM
I don't know much about Brinn's (or bert's really). Is it possible it's not completely out of 1st gear? Kinda sounds to me like it's trying to go into 2 gears at once... could be worn out detentes, or some slop in the shafts?

TALON75
10-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Our do that too, mostly when they are cold, after a heat race or main they seem to work better. We just always put it in reverse before firing up. I think when the fluid is cold the clutches are a bit sticky which makes that shaft turn more than it should. I think if it were a detent problem you would have trouble shifting at all times.

powerslide
10-20-2013, 07:27 PM
i agree w/ talon, mine has always been this way. Just put her in gear prior to start up.

10-20-2013, 08:10 PM
If the motor is running try putting it in low first then shift to reverse .

JJ128
10-21-2013, 09:22 AM
I have been starting the car in reverse since it started doing this, it is just unhandy to shut it off and restart it if I want to back into my pit area or have to back up in the line up chute or whatever. I also feel like that if something is messed up it needs fixed, rather than just finding a way around it. I thought that maybe this was a common issue with an easy fix. Guess not. I will just call Brinn and post what they say. Thanks.

MM90
10-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Brinn says in their FAQ not to shift into reverse when car is running because it is not syncronised. With that being said, my car would not go into reverse when it was cold. But after hot laps or heat race it would grind a little bit but would go into reverse without much effort with engine running.

TALON75
10-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Sometimes it does help to shift into low then into reverse, it is supposed to help align the the shafts so it is easier to go into reverse . Also, I think this is a lot more common when using racing oil as fluid, I had a Brinn that was using atf and it seemed a bit smoother on the reverse shift, but I don't think the clutches lasted as long and switched it back to oil after a rebuild . If it is that big of a problem for you , you might want to try atf instead .

lazermod3
10-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Sounds to me as if there is a design flaw,in the transmission.I know several people that have Falcon's,and or Bert's,operating without this issue.

TALON75
10-22-2013, 06:11 PM
lol, we don't race in reverse!!!lol Brinn is still the best, most reliable transmission on the market too me !

cedarcreek
10-22-2013, 07:41 PM
I agree with Talon,been running Brinns for years.Fixing to try a Racegator to see how it works.Heard pro's and cons about them,anyone here ever ran one.If you haven't do not respond please.

TALON75
10-22-2013, 09:16 PM
A guy at our track did, two failures in about four races . I wouldn't chance it, find a good used Brinn .

lazermod3
10-22-2013, 09:31 PM
lol, we don't race in reverse!!!lol Brinn is still the best, most reliable transmission on the market too me !

First let me say this about that!Yes,we don't race in reverse,but to go through the reverse issues,this should be uncalled for,so as I said in a earlier reply,the transmission must have a design flaw.

Brinn Transmissions
10-24-2013, 01:41 PM
There is not a design flaw. Most of our transmissions out there will not do this. Here are a couple of possibilities: 1. A rebuild may have been done incorrectly and someone may not have used OE Brinn parts. 2. Master cylinder may not be releasing all the way. 3. Clutch linkage could be adjusted too tight. Adjust your clutch pedal so that it has some play at the top when fully retracted. 4. Do not use a quick disconnect anywhere on the clutch line. 5. Use the recommended oil (20/50 Valvoline non-synthetic or GM Dextron III transmission fluid) 6. A newly rebuilt clutch pack could possibly have tolerances tight enough to cause the oil to slightly drive the clutch pack when in neutral. Especially with a heavy oil type. When the oil heats up, the viscosity goes down and the clutch will act normal. In this case, try the GM Dextron III transmission fluid. In case number 6, while the engine is running, simply put the transmission in either 1st or reverse (whichever gear the transmission goes into easily) to bring the shafts up to engine speed, then pull the transmission into the gear you need. For instance, if you have trouble shifting into reverse, put the transmission in 1st, then pull it into reverse and you should be just fine. I've been to plenty of races and have not seen this issue with our 70001 transmission, but I understand it can exist.

DRTRCR22
10-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Not just Brinn... I have the same problem with both of my Falcons, especially the first few races after a new clutch pack rebuild... and I run the recommended full synthetic Dexron AFT. I also found one time where I could not get it in gear at all... a set screw in the shift fork had vibrated loose and gave just enough play to bind up the meshing process. So make sure to lock-tite your set screws when you rebuild. I do not use a quick disconnect, I have play in my pedal, there is no linkage and MC is releasing properly, I only use OEM clutch packs and recommended fluid, and the 1st-reverse sync trick does not work for a Falcon... so, Brinn is not the only one, it is just the nature of the beast. Yes my Falcon works better when hot... but sometimes I just have to shut it down and put in gear then fire up again for reverse only... low is seldom a problem...

Brian Gray
10-24-2013, 05:52 PM
another reason why most teams prefer BERT. also for the people who prefer made in USA products keep in mind much of the work on the Bert parts is done by many fine folks right here in ohio and alabama as well as other states.

just a few facts that are good to know.

btw i will take brinns and falcons in on trade for new bert transmissions.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-24-2013, 07:11 PM
This is turning into a Brinn bash session with some, but the Gen 2 Bert is also a turd. There are few perfect pieces out there, it seems.

RACR_73s
10-24-2013, 08:36 PM
I have 60+ night on my Falcon without a rebuild and plan on putting another season on it next year. I had the same issue shifting into low/reverse, I stumbled across my solution one night this year while bolting on my shifters. I was tightening them too tight...I have nylock nuts and just snug them...problem solved. Not saying its the fix, just passing along what goofy thing worked for me. ~Good Luck~

lazermod3
10-24-2013, 11:49 PM
This is turning into a Brinn bash session with some, but the Gen 2 Bert is also a turd. There are few perfect pieces out there, it seems.

MasterSbilt_Racer,judging from your replies to different post's,you must be a (MASTER)on any subject,concerning dirt late model racing.This includes Chassis setup's,What fuel to use,and now transmissions,etc.

I don't think that anyone on here is trying to turn this thread into a Brinn bash session,only you.

Let me ask you this!What late model do you have,and where do you race?Or do you have a Mod?and where do you race.

I will reserve any further comment,untill you answer the above questions.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-25-2013, 07:29 AM
MasterSbilt_Racer,judging from your replies to different post's,you must be a (MASTER)on any subject,concerning dirt late model racing.This includes Chassis setup's,What fuel to use,and now transmissions,etc.

I don't think that anyone on here is trying to turn this thread into a Brinn bash session,only you.

Let me ask you this!What late model do you have,and where do you race?Or do you have a Mod?and where do you race.

I will reserve any further comment,untill you answer the above questions.

Funny coming from someone who doesn't disclose anything about themselves!

I am a former LM racer, and current crew chief. I have been in dirt racing for over 25 years. I have a BSME in Mechanical Engineering. I am employed in the materials testing industry.

And I said nothing bad about Brinn. Perhaps your reading comprehension is poor.

lazermod3
10-25-2013, 08:21 AM
Funny coming from someone who doesn't disclose anything about themselves!

I am a former LM racer, and current crew chief. I have been in dirt racing for over 25 years. I have a BSME in Mechanical Engineering. I am employed in the materials testing industry.

And I said nothing bad about Brinn. Perhaps your reading comprehension is poor.

First of all I never indicated that you said anything that is derogatory about Brinn,and as far as reading comprehension is concerned,you need to learn to understand,and comprehend the king's english.

Second of all,what late model did you own,or drive?The reason I asked is I have been associated with dirt late model racing for over 55years,and perhaps I would know you.You state you are a current crew chief,for who?

WOW! a BSME in Mechanical Engineering,and you do material testing.(WITH THAT SAID,YOU SHOULD BE DOING THE TIRE TESTING AT THE LOCAL TRACKS)

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-25-2013, 08:33 AM

I am crew chief on the 33B this year.

lazermod3
10-25-2013, 11:49 AM
I am crew chief on the 33B this year.

You did a good job!

swartzman
10-26-2013, 07:34 PM
i had this problem a few years back and it a bearing issue