PDA

View Full Version : Impala Stub Front Suspension

7uptruckracer
10-21-2013, 01:51 PM
While this is asphalt most the geometry isn't much different these days. If you had to build one. Don't worry about rules. Pinto spindles or Metric. Impala, Big Ford, Chevelle or Nova Lowers. I can't mix lowers side to side but I can run any ball joints, and spindle as long as its OEM or the Howe Mod Spindle. Its on our Impala stub what would you run, and why

let-r-eat
10-22-2013, 12:10 AM
You can't talk about the front end without talking about the rear end. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

7uptruckracer
10-22-2013, 07:41 AM
Asphalt though its a long arm RR and a short arm LR it takes thrust angle out the RR so we don't kill it in 50-100 lap races and being we don't run rear steer, it lets you run a softer RR spring (limiting RR loading, thus keeping it under you) without getting steer from compression travel, and the short LR helps drive just like dirt. So in this case its a front end deal lol. All the cars I see recently are going to more and more of the Pinto Spindle not sure why, if its a camber gain deal, or weight or what, just looking for opinions.

let-r-eat
10-22-2013, 11:28 PM
OK. I'll think about it and post back. Is the the newer Impala/Caprice stub?

SS Motorsports
10-22-2013, 11:30 PM
All of the spindles you listed more than likely have different pin heights, The big GM spindles sometimes make it tough to get travel in the front end if you are very soft on the front springs, but there are probably 1,000's of reasons for why people do what they do.

7uptruckracer
10-23-2013, 07:02 AM
Yeah with 400-500 pound front and moderately aggressive for asphalt shocks we aren't getting nearly as much travel. I am going to modify some off my roll centers and anti dive/pro dive on the uppers and lowers. I don't think its what you would call the Newer stub this is a SCP chassis basically a HOWE copy. We have No spindle rules per say just no fabricated spindles. I'm changing the front end so if I wanna change the spindle now is the time to do it. We run the Howe or Mitler Bros hubs with the preload bearing but whatever works best I'm going with was thinking the 7.5 left side pinto and 10* right Side pinto, not sure we are on Metric now I dunno how to identify them though everyone says its #1 or #2 is that correct, or does impala have their own?

SS Motorsports
10-23-2013, 09:00 AM
Look into S10 drop spindles, there are a ton of manufacturers for them. They have the raised pin heights that will help get the travel you need.

7uptruckracer
10-23-2013, 09:48 AM
By pin you mean spindle snout that result in the dropped aspect correct? It's the same as a Gbody spindle just dropped being that's what the s-10 is. What fits on that hub wise?

SS Motorsports
10-23-2013, 02:21 PM
They are different than the metric spindles, the stock s10 is the same as the metric stuff. You can find pictures online and look at the backside of the spindle, On the standard spindle you will see how close the snout or pin is to the lower ball joint, then look at the drop spindle and you will notice the pin sits much higher. Metric rotors fit the s10 spindles and Wilwood makes a great rotor to switch to a 5x5 bolt pattern. Although there are some ball joint changes and other things needed to get the geometry where it should be. PM me and I can tell you who to call and they can get you set up with everything you would need.