PDA

View Full Version : 16" Coilover Springs

kevpow
10-24-2013, 09:01 PM
Is anyone using a 16" coilover spring on your left rear to keep the shock/spring loaded under hike? If so, who is making the 16" springs and does it require a change of rate?

7uptruckracer
10-25-2013, 06:47 AM
Just run a hike down shock on the LRF or use a helper spring if its that much of a problem, most builders recommend you not have preload before install on the LR spring, to speak of. Most guys run 14" or 12" still depending on car and application and chain the car. with the traction shocks you don't really get the ill effects of a free falling car or the sore butt :)

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-25-2013, 07:53 AM
Is anyone using a 16" coilover spring on your left rear to keep the shock/spring loaded under hike? If so, who is making the 16" springs and does it require a change of rate?

A taller spring will make no difference on if the spring stays loaded. The only factors are spring rate, motion ratio (birdcage rotation during drop), and the amount of drop you run.

With the car scaled the same in both cases, if a 14" 200 lb spring comes unloaded at 13" drop, a 16" spring of the same rate will as well.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-25-2013, 07:55 AM
The 16" spring would allow you to run a softer spring and have less chance of coil bind and also would raise the adjuster nut with respect to the shock body.

7uptruckracer
10-25-2013, 08:21 AM
True story. Most all cars hike it off the spring unless your on a dual stage or stack. Its going to come off the same amount either way because it compresses the same rate the same amount and rebounds the same amount just taller like he said good if your soft it won't coil bind, if you soft enough to bow which i know you aren't kevin you'd be on a stack if your under 175 I doubt you are with that masters, at least you got your tube camber issue fixed lol

kevpow
10-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Yeah, 10-4. I'm not having any problems per say. Just trying to think outside of the box and was wondering if anyone had given it a try. Im just thinking if the left rear stays loaded, could it or would it promote forward bite. I know that theres a shock company out there that is building their shocks "loaded". Its hard to compress them just to get them installed. Mainly on the right front. So I was just thinking if the diagonal corner were "loaded" with a taller spring would there be any advantage! Thanks to you guys, My question is answered!!!!

hpmaster
10-26-2013, 10:24 AM
I use and several others I know use 16" on the left rear. It is in the 160 lb range and seems to smooth out the transistion from on throttle to an abrupt off throttle situation. Really that is the only advantage I can attest to cause other that that one situation the spring does pretty much nothing as the car is on the bars and limiter chain.

hucktyson
10-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Your speaking of pre loading the shim stack , lol absolutely nothing to do with pre loading a spring