PDA

View Full Version : Convert metric uppers to adjustable

dereksehi
10-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Have an older mod with a metric stub and want to convert it to adjustable upper control arms either using a cross shaft like speedway sells or shear plates I have not been able to find a cross shaft with the 6 7/8 pattern though any ideas on how to go about doing this

jsf74
10-26-2013, 11:32 AM
I dealt with this all last season. I eventually had a set custom made by Brian ruhlman. Stick with solid non adjustable uppers they are MUCH stronger.

dereksehi
10-26-2013, 12:39 PM
I would have stayed with the non adjustable but I put 1/2 longer lower studs and converted to screw in uppers with a 1 longer stud to get good camber gain but I can't get enough camber or caster without about 1 1/2 or 2 inches of washers

jsf74
10-26-2013, 04:59 PM
Do not use the speedway adj setup. It is very weak and will snap as soon as your wheel touches anything. I went this route last year and ended up loosing my upper, a real nice shock, and a tire. If you want a cross shaft version Spc makes a nice strong setup or what I would do is add the double shear upper mounts and cut off the stock upper setup. Still not as strong as a solid upper though.last year I ended up taking one of my uppers and cut it up and fabed up my own. I then took them to Brian ruhlman and had a nice set made. I kept the measurements so if I ever need a replacement.

jsf74
10-27-2013, 02:36 PM
What did you use on your streeters jeff?

racinjj
10-28-2013, 09:09 AM
https://www.lefthanderchassis.com/v2a/viewproduct_group.asp?idgroup=2513402
Use these for stock type metric mounts, or cut the mounts off and use a standard type upper a-arm.