PDA

View Full Version : Bert Ball Spline?

th_racer
10-27-2013, 10:47 PM
I have ran a Brinn in my modified forever, I'm new to the Late model and my car has a ball spline with an aluminum driveshaft. My question is are they worth the trouble with all the bad I hear about them as far as safety or should I pull it and run a Brinn ?

grt74
10-27-2013, 11:47 PM
I know you don't know me from adam but please do yourself this huge safety favor and get a carbon fiber drive shaft we have 3 years on one and its still in the car,with a ballspine if the driveshaft breaks @ say 5000 rpms or more that's how many times it will hit your legs or right side in a minute,and im sure as much as we spend on late models today 700 bucks wont break ya,and im sure your family thinks your worth 700 bucks,i put it right up there with a firesuit when it comes to a ballspline,carbon fiber is the only way to go with a ballspline

grt74
10-27-2013, 11:51 PM
the trans itself is a good piece,that is provided you do the maintenence

swartzman
10-28-2013, 11:35 AM
do your maintence and that does mean taking the tailshaft apart and cleaning it, good grease and your ready to roll.. the ones i have seen fail are a result from not doing proper maintence

lazermod3
10-28-2013, 07:29 PM
do your maintence and that does mean taking the tailshaft apart and cleaning it, good grease and your ready to roll.. the ones i have seen fail are a result from not doing proper maintence

Well said,(MAINTANCE)is the key.I have known racers to run the Bert Ballspline with steel driveshafts,and have had no issues at all.Now on the other hand the safer way to go is to use a carbon fiber shaft.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-29-2013, 03:58 PM
All good advice here. Personally, I wouldn't run one without a CF shaft. I don't like the idea of a broken shaft staying attached to the trans.

7uptruckracer
10-30-2013, 10:08 AM
Not to be graphic and I've replied to these before but this is what happens when you don't spend the few extra for carbon fiber. THEY CAN break safety loops no matter how large. When your turning 8-9k and one comes apart it blows things apart in a hurry. 4 Months being unable to walk, permanent damage from the muscles being blown out, 9,000 in just hospital bills, not counting supplies and prescriptions. We won't even go into the damage it did to the car. The only thing that saved me was a battery cable wrapped around the driveshaft and tethered it (Tore EVERY wire outta the car too) So 700 is pocket change in compairson

racin6mod
11-12-2013, 06:34 PM
we I haven't used one and never will the one I saw was from a rearend that locked up at mid straight and the drive shaft wrapped up until it couldn't wrap anymore and the berts main case blew up the driver was lucky to get out with no body damage but the chassis was junk the trany was a total loss. the car owner sold out and never raced again.

get a carbon drive shaft or sell the trany and get a non ballspline you notice no body ever copied the bert ballspline design there is a reason.

7uptruckracer
11-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Yeah the case blew apart on mine as well. Bedsides that nasty cut down to me femur and all the damage I also got burned from fluid and debris.

ncracer1st
11-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Falcon now make the roller slide.

racin6mod
11-16-2013, 10:30 PM
NCRACER 1ST glad you posted that I didn't know they have a ball spline. I hope they tried to fix the design problem.

TALON75
11-16-2013, 11:09 PM
It is not a ball spline, they call it a roller slide, similar but not the same