PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a car that turns ....

hucktyson
11-04-2013, 07:26 AM
I'm looking for a car that turns in and rotates really well and will still drive off on big slick momentum tracks. The car must be able to run 1600's or open tires and still work and also needs to rotate in hammer down mud conditions. I'm interested in hearing people's opinions on this... I want a car that turns without having to break it free .. Something that is meant to be driven STRAIGHT and will rotate

7uptruckracer
11-04-2013, 08:25 AM
You're asking for the perfect racecar that everyone builder is trying to make.....GenX are hot right now the Rocket Blue/Grey turns in well, and the New Blue with the Orange Rear is good. The New BWRC and Warriors are running well kind of an odd question it might be a sorter list to say which ones will never do these things most all the new ones will work well.

hucktyson
11-04-2013, 08:35 AM
The gen x car does none of this. It it's balls tight on entry no matter what, tight entry kills momentum. I have tried everything to make this car turn in an rotate except 1400lb 1" rebound numbers on the right front. When the extent of my tech support is a set up sheet from 2010 when the car was built sept of 2011 and the I only help i was really offered is that I need a " magic " genesis shock for the right front it's time to go a different direction.

48bad
11-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Sounds like you are describing the Jig A Lo car we ran in the early 80's. Best driving car I ever sat down in. But its been a while. Maybe my memory has faded somewhat. lol

Matt49
11-04-2013, 09:04 AM
The gen x car does none of this. It it's balls tight on entry no matter what, tight entry kills momentum. I have tried everything to make this car turn in an rotate except 1400lb 1" rebound numbers on the right front. When the extent of my tech support is a set up sheet from 2010 when the car was built sept of 2011 and the I only help i was really offered is that I need a " magic " genesis shock for the right front it's time to go a different direction.

The GenX car is perfectly fine and is winning races all over the country. If you can't get one freed-up I suggest you start doing some homework. I'd offer some friendly advice but based on your past criticism of constructive commentary on this board, I'll save it for somebody that might appreciate it.

7uptruckracer
11-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Excuse me when I referred to GenX I mean Gen-H Everyone down here is switching to MBH stuff. Combo car. But Genx still run really really well. Its like anything else if one guy dominates everyone has one

7uptruckracer
11-04-2013, 09:10 AM
If your balls tight a lot of guys on the MBH and Rocket Blues are on 450 to 475 LF even in the slick to get them to turn in the slick it keeps the front end working. I'd like to have a Gen X if you want to part with it lol

hucktyson
11-04-2013, 09:28 AM
I'm already on a 475 lf, different areas of the country have different types of dirt, I liked the smack down car much better than the gen x but the 2008 smack down didnt have the raised rail and cross member so bottoming out was an issue. I'm not saying that gen x cars aren't a good piece , it just does not work for me where I am racing.

mab475
11-04-2013, 10:04 AM
I know where you run at john and I think I can help if you let me put a setup under your car to try.

John H
11-08-2013, 08:00 PM
I'd like to know what you have been working with. Those cars are pretty adjustable. i know where he runs also and I don't understand his difficulty. Take mab475's offer he knows what to do!!!

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-08-2013, 08:12 PM
I'm already on a 475 lf, different areas of the country have different types of dirt, I liked the smack down car much better than the gen x but the 2008 smack down didnt have the raised rail and cross member so bottoming out was an issue. I'm not saying that gen x cars aren't a good piece , it just does not work for me where I am racing.

Get another Smackdown! Problem solved!

06Tireman
11-09-2013, 09:32 PM
anyone try a underslung bar under the RR???

let-r-eat
11-09-2013, 10:38 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slip_angle

hucktyson
11-12-2013, 08:36 AM
I am going to take mab475 up on his offer but I have 2 of these cars one brand new and one 24 races old , I'm selling the 24 race old car and replacing it with another brand , I'm looking for suggestions on what cars are known to turn very well. Watching bobby pierce race I can't help but notice how well his car turns on the extreme inside , does anyone have any experience with one of those ?

FlatTire
11-12-2013, 03:29 PM
I've got a Larry Shaw with a Rayburn front end that has always turned in extremely well. Many times it will turn itself into the corner. If there's one thing it does best, that would be it. There has been many times where I can hook the bottom and stay there all the way thru the corner. Most nights its right at home on the bottom of the race track.

They had a deal where you could buy a brand new roller for $10,000 if you assemble it yourself.

rcmaster
11-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Capital race cars . Marshall Green

grt74
11-12-2013, 09:37 PM
tnt,if you know what to do to them to free them up(they are a really tight car for the most part),i myself like a tight car that i can free up,then if i need some traction i know i can tighten it back up

Matt49
11-12-2013, 10:01 PM
You can make any car turn and you can make any car not want to turn. The baseline setup is not for everybody.

grt74
11-12-2013, 10:26 PM
You can make any car turn and you can make any car not want to turn. The baseline setup is not for everybody.

i agree 100%

hucktyson
11-13-2013, 06:37 AM
Using the logic that all cars are the same and essentially any car can be adjusted to win the WOO and Lucas title why do some drivers run great in some cars and run terrible in others ?? If any car can be adjusted to win for anyone why does rocket make several different designs ? It's physically impossible for all cars to be ideal for all track shapes , conditions and driving styles.

Matt49
11-13-2013, 08:42 AM
What I said does not in any way imply or infer that "all cars are the same". Once again, you spun my words in an effort to tear down a very good statement that I made because you don't understand it. I'll try to explain.
You said one thing that is true. It is impossible for all cars to be ideal for all track shapes, conditions, and driving styles. That's why the baseline setup for any given chassis manufacturer does not work for everybody: different track shapes, track conditions, and driving styles.
Any car can be adjusted (from the baseline) to meet the driver's needs but it might not necessarily be comfortable or feel like a meaningful compromise to the driver. What do I mean by meaningful compromise?
There are some very highly respected drivers at the national level that have a particular driving style and the car needs to be a certain way for them to be comfortable and successful.
What a great many people fail to understand is that almost any setup adjustment you make is a compromise. The baseline setups are designed to be a happy medium but it may not feel right to every driver. From there, there are a million ways to tighten or loosen a race car. Some of these changes will make the car feel better to the driver but not make it any faster on lap times because it compromises something else. But some of these changes will make the car feel better to the driver AND make the car faster because it doesn't compromise as much (if anything noticeable at all).
For example, someone is trying to tighten corner entry because the driver says it's too loose on entry. What do you change? I can list about 20 things that will tighten the car on corner entry. But only maybe three of them will make the car better on the stop watch. And for a different chassis brand, those same three adjustments might slow the car down. Different designs, different baselines, different reactions to changes.

setup479point2
11-13-2013, 08:48 AM
You've answered your own question with that last post . You are the driver , and only you can tell whether a particular car will work for you . Every driver wants a different feel. I know one driver who absolutely loves the orange rocket and another who totally hated it . He went back to his other and started running up front. So anything we tell you really won't help you much. Thats probably not the answer you want , but there is no magic chassis.

7uptruckracer
11-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Most chassis designs are geared towards the big shows (Dry Slick tracks) these days because thats the hardest to setup for and thats where all the manufacturers run. They use to just try to tighten cars up as the night progressed for dry slick but then they ended up with cars that didn't turn on entry but had all the exit drive they wanted. The new name of the game is getting it to turn on entry while maintaining exit drive, You find the more momentum you can keep the less physical drive you need in a car. Some of the cars are spindle changes and steering arm changes (BLUE?Grey) that drivers don't like the way they feel because they steer different then what they have been I know Richards doesn't like the Orange car if hes even on it now I know in February he said he still ran the blue grey that its his favorite. A could be faster then B but if the driver isn't comfortable he won't be quicker in it.

Matt49
11-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Most chassis designs are geared towards the big shows (Dry Slick tracks) these days because thats the hardest to setup for and thats where all the manufacturers run. They use to just try to tighten cars up as the night progressed for dry slick but then they ended up with cars that didn't turn on entry but had all the exit drive they wanted. The new name of the game is getting it to turn on entry while maintaining exit drive, You find the more momentum you can keep the less physical drive you need in a car. Some of the cars are spindle changes and steering arm changes (BLUE?Grey) that drivers don't like the way they feel because they steer different then what they have been I know Richards doesn't like the Orange car if hes even on it now I know in February he said he still ran the blue grey that its his favorite. A could be faster then B but if the driver isn't comfortable he won't be quicker in it.

Very good points. The big checks get written when the track is black slick.

jedclampit
11-13-2013, 01:20 PM
I'm looking for a car that turns in and rotates really well and will still drive off on big slick momentum tracks. The car must be able to run 1600's or open tires and still work and also needs to rotate in hammer down mud conditions. I'm interested in hearing people's opinions on this... I want a car that turns without having to break it free .. Something that is meant to be driven STRAIGHT and will rotate

Sounds like you need a experienced crew chief... not another new car.

let-r-eat
11-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Good post 7uptruckracer. You nailed it in my opinion. They don't build cars for gumbo racing anymore. You go from a good gumbo car over to these new cars and run it on the gumbo and think the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) thing is going to fly apart anytime. Everything rubbing....flexing............moving around.I actually like that challenge, really.

Drop Shock
11-16-2013, 03:20 AM

Have you tried taking side-to-side out of it, usually the best way the free up on entry. The "magic" genesis shock is a really good piece too. It's real high rebound so it lets you turn in really good on the gas, and the stack spring combo will give the car a lot of drive coming off as well.

7uptruckracer
11-16-2013, 07:46 AM
You must mean dual stage not stack spring. If you ever wanna try that a 700/400
Combo is the norm paired with a shock that will allow it to operate as intended. You just need to go through your GenX see where your at on every bar angle birdcage index and Shock setting particularly your LRF (SOOOO overlooked and can really help a car get in) if you need help message one of us

LM14
11-16-2013, 10:15 PM
Are you still gaining speed as you try to turn? Do you blow past people at turn entry? Try a deeper gear so the car peaks earlier and just maintains the last portion of the straight and the car will turn better.

SPark

rubbinsracin
11-18-2013, 03:29 PM
I got a 2010 Shaw Late model by Purkey for sale. Car runs well, pocketbook just isnt deep enough to keep running. PM me if you are interested. Ill do $10,000 turn key.