PDA

View Full Version : New to mod racing

ropin101
11-15-2013, 02:41 PM
Just looking for some advice, my son is 16 and will be racing a mod next year, he has 5 years in micro's. Just curious what woud be a good chassis to put him in to start with.

zeroracing
11-15-2013, 03:33 PM
For somebody to give you a good real answer, not just their favorite chassis just because you need to answer the following:

1. What race tracks/part of the country will you race/live?
2. What rules package?
3. What motor are you planning on, or is that up in the air also?
4. New, used, budget, unlimited...?

There are a ton of modified builders out there and some are great, some not so much. Answer those questions and people can make a recommendation much better.

ropin101
11-15-2013, 04:40 PM
We will be running Missouri, Illinois, nd Iowa. 1/4 to big 3/8. thinking about "B" mods but haven't ruled out "A" mods. I can afford new, but not sure I want to go that route for his first big car.

drive3b
11-15-2013, 05:36 PM
I agree with SCD, get something local. You will get better support that way. I would suggest starting with sport mod/bmod for at least a year so he can get used to running the bigger cars. Just my opinions.

jsf74
11-15-2013, 06:39 PM
NO buy someones car at the track u plan to race at!!!

1Blacksheep
11-15-2013, 07:01 PM
I would start in B Mods . If you start in A you will spend a lot of money learning what you as the crew chief need to know ! The driver will have a lot to learn also. These animals work different than Micros . We started A only because B did not run here back when my driver was at age 15. A Mod will test your abilities and finances to extreme ! Further more the respect between drivers at the Micro and 1/4 Midget stage is far greater (whether you know them or not) than most you will race in A mods . Micros don't intend to touch ever unless they are Brain dead. A - Mods are dang near a high dollar Demo Derby that you will be in the middle of till you get things figured out and get fast. A lot of them are Brain dead.

zeroracing
11-15-2013, 07:14 PM
I am assuming you ran sweet springs, so will be looking toward LARaceway, Lucas, possibly valley(not the caliber of the others).

Allen is out of Urbana and has a pretty good car locally, his b mods are fast, Hoffman owns Springfield raceway and his b mods are fast also. GRT is king for a mods and good b mods also.

Should also add shaw is out of Arkansas and hard to beat on help, they are great guys and can help a young driver and team learn in a hurry.

Lizardracing
11-19-2013, 09:54 PM
X2 3 and 4 for a buying a local car. These days Mods are built light weight and bend very easy. 1 3/4 bar car will go a long way on that deal and you will need repairs and the proper jigs are best to have access too. B-Mods in my area are even dumber than the Amod guys but the cars cost the same while the payout is way smaller. Even finishing dead last in the A's pay better than 10th place in the B's with less repair costs.

Krooser
11-19-2013, 11:38 PM
A guy I used to race against would always buy a race ready car by making an offer at the track contingent on the owner selling the car right now… as raced.. and letting him take it home now. That eliminated any funny business with switching carb, shocks, springs, etc.

He bought some great cars and won q lot of races.

racin6mod
11-20-2013, 07:56 PM
we have sport mods here in the Midwest that is what I would start him out in and move up in a year or two. they require good throttle control and smooth driving style great for teaching young drivers. plus the best once seem to be local built cars.