PDA

View Full Version : Spring rate change

propit21
11-17-2013, 12:44 AM
If nothing else change and you left all your splits the same but drop 50lbs of rate in front spring and 25 lbs in the back what would be the effects felt.

Rf 900 to 850
Lf 1000 to 950
Lr 225 to 200
Rr 200 to 175

Three link with pull bar j bar pro stock

LFMotorsports
11-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Just a guess but it seems you were a little heavy on the springs in the first place. If you soften up all of them, most likely just more chassis movement, which the car might respond well with. The rates you are going to aren't out of the normal so wouldn't be too concerned.

But this is just one opinion.

DaveBauerSS6
11-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Softening all the springs will make it more drivable in the rough.
Softening the front will allow more weight transfer to the front, getting better front bite for turning in and keeping the left lower rear bar with more angle in entry.
Softer rears allow more weight transfer to the rear.

zeroracing
11-17-2013, 04:18 PM
In response to softer springs allow more weight transfer, no, they don't.

Weight transfer as a whole is a function of center of gravity, speed and radius, springs have no effect at all. Now springs do determine which one has more resistance to roll, stiffer end resist roll more, however the more resistant to roll an end has the more actual weight transfer % of total transfer, overall the total is still the same your only changing the amount that goes to rf or rr.

Softer or heavier springs do not change net amount of weight transfer, only the proportion each end gets, greater roll resistance = more weight to that wheel. Net change from left to right is not effected.

anissa5
11-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Good call Zero because a right rear is rolling over or rf does not mean it getting all the weight

Dirtrunner35
11-17-2013, 08:53 PM
I agree on both , most people think that a softer spring puts more weight on that wheel , not true. It puts less. And since he dropped the front down more than the rear his roll stiffness distribution might stay the same . I was going to try the change on my car in my program but no electric lol

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-17-2013, 09:07 PM
In response to softer springs allow more weight transfer, no, they don't.

Weight transfer as a whole is a function of center of gravity, speed and radius, springs have no effect at all. Now springs do determine which one has more resistance to roll, stiffer end resist roll more, however the more resistant to roll an end has the more actual weight transfer % of total transfer, overall the total is still the same your only changing the amount that goes to rf or rr.

Softer or heavier springs do not change net amount of weight transfer, only the proportion each end gets, greater roll resistance = more weight to that wheel. Net change from left to right is not effected.

Softer springs actually CAN mean more weight transfer. For example, really soft fronts would make the front raise during acceleration. The higher it raises, the higher the chassis CG becomes. The higher the CG, the easier it is for more weight to transfer. CG location is not static once things start moving.

propit21
11-17-2013, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the reply so far please keep this going. By going softer rate would you need more shock to control that spring from bouncing. What would be the result of maybe bring the front splits closer together such as lf 900 rf 850?

charcoal01
11-17-2013, 10:11 PM
Why is your lf sotiffer than your rf.

propit21
11-17-2013, 10:20 PM
To be honest we thought we had a stiffer right front in the car until we tested the spring when we put the car back together, and it turns out we have been running the with the lf stiffer then the rf. up until just recent we never checked the springs just went off the number on the spring

anissa5
11-18-2013, 04:22 AM
mastersbilt racer I can see that also if cog raises 1.5 can make a big differce I have always seen this like zero explained with roll stiffness more got the more the transfer you get. The older I get I see things differt years ago we tried to get all the weight transfer we could get now I think this a bad. A lot is the type of track you are running also

charcoal01
11-18-2013, 09:33 AM
To be honest with you, knowing the track you're on, I would go with the 950 in the rf, 850 in the left front, and a set of 200's across the rear. 175 is kind of soft for a car that heavy. I think the car is tight on entry as it is.

Driver50x
11-18-2013, 04:31 PM
So if I were to add a spring rubber to the right rear, that would add more weight to that tire while going around the corner, correct? Would that make the car tighter or looser?

Dirtrunner35
11-18-2013, 05:22 PM
Yes and looser

let-r-eat
11-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Looser on the gas and tighter off.

Dirtrunner35
11-18-2013, 08:37 PM
A bigger lb spring on the rr tightens a car on exit ?

let-r-eat
11-18-2013, 11:23 PM
Tighter OFF the gas and looser ON the gas.

Dirtrunner35
11-19-2013, 05:00 PM
ok, just clairifying