PDA

View Full Version : Leaf springs, or 3 link?

timcole421
11-18-2013, 07:28 PM
I know the obvious answer from most will be 3-link.

I race at a track that the stock cars (sort of sportsman, super stock, limited lates) are dominated by straight leaf springs. We're allowed birdcages and there are a couple 4 bar cars out there, but they simply don't hook up as well (from guys who certainly know what they're doing). I think the thing about the 4 links in these cars is the fact the spring can't be hooked to the birdcage, it has to sit on top of the rear end housing or on a clamp/perch. I myself have ran a Z link with the LR spring on a clamp/perch (pierce style) and the RR spring on top. I also ran the same car with 4 bar left once, and it worked OK....so far the leaf springs have been better consistently.

I am thinking of going three link, but want some input as I am not THAT far off from the top two cars, but I am winless at this track at this point as well. I currently run straight leaf springs, no pull bar, nothing floated with sliders on the rear....though shackles seem to be better.

So am I looking the right direction here? PS, not interested in the "fast boys" setup. It's been done and back, and beaten consistently here.

3000-3100 pound, 104" car, 55 left, 54 rear, 300-350# LR bite currently on the straight leaf spring setup. I know it has a ton of LR, but it is what the car wanted, and what made it fast. Track is a moderately high banked quarter mile, though I may visit Eldora some too, thanks!

DANNY
11-18-2013, 07:49 PM
3 link set the track record in Cali on a 3000 lb super stock running G60 tires this year where leafs have been the "to do" forever. No special setup either we have to run solid upper no more then 20" and a panhard bar behind the rear no less then 20" with lowers no more then 20" the 20/20/20 rule.

Some say it's at a disadvantage to the leafs but even at my track it's been the setup to beat.

Ps: not to say the car is not setup right but there's no crazy spring pull bar, j bar, or birdcages ect

a1driver
11-18-2013, 08:24 PM
I'd run the pierce style clamped 4 bar set-up

timcole421
11-18-2013, 10:46 PM
I'd run the pierce style clamped 4 bar set-up

There's two of those out there, both good cars with good setups and drivers. Neither won.

a1driver
11-19-2013, 07:27 PM
What can you run for a pullbar? I would think the 4 bar if setup correctly would be far better than leafs

JK4745
11-23-2013, 08:04 PM
Tim go to Oakshade on one of your free weekends and watch the 3 link bombers with the right front pinned and see how they work. The 70 of Folks and the 63 of Rushlow both run similar setups to the two questions you asked and they are extremely successful with it. The cars must be fairly easy to drive with the right front pinned and the 3 link as both these guys drive one handed and the cars on a rail.

bobdoo
11-24-2013, 07:33 AM
Sorry for the interuption, trying to follow the thread. What is a "3 link" and a "pinned rf"?

dirty white boy
11-25-2013, 06:02 PM
here in central/northern north carolina we run a class called limited sportsman,...stock clip tube back mostly...we run 3 tracks ones a high banked 1/2 mile next is moderatly banked 4/10s,an last ones bout 3/8ths with slight banking..an the 3 links are the front runners,few of us on leafs ant even in the running... im wanting to go 3 link with mine soon as i can afford too...DWB

floppyfoot
11-27-2013, 08:37 AM
A 3-link made all the difference in our car. It had the stock metric 4 link and was just so so. The 3-link helped make it up with the front runners and to the winners circle. That is with al the help from the ones who know that are here on this forum.

dirty white boy
11-27-2013, 01:13 PM
use to,our rules were track bar had to be on back of rearend an leafs were bout equal,then rules opened up to j-bar on front an 3 links took off!! thats with solid bar on top on both...

RaceMentally
12-02-2013, 03:43 AM
The problem with leaf cars I've notice is in the main/feature they struggle to plant the rr of the car. This IS a set up issue. If you run a 3 LINK sportsman, super stock, or pro stock private message me. Thank you. This is in regards to you running our parts.