PDA

View Full Version : left side bars-adjustments in the slick

charcoal01
11-19-2013, 07:13 PM
Just curious what most of you guys like to do with your bars in the slick. Drop the left lower and change nothing, don't drop the left lower but drop the left upper on the cage? Do both?

This isn't a fix my setup sort of question, just more of a when/if deal and what you guys like to do along with what each different adjustment might bring to the cars handling And feel.

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-21-2013, 08:57 AM
There can't be one answer. You have to give the car what it needs.

These all assume you do not intentionally or accidently reduce the available droop travel of the lr suspension

left lower down at chassis - decrease of total thrust angle. decrease in wheel rate. decrease in axle steer.

left upper up at chassis - increase of total thrust angle. decrease in wheel rate. increase in axle steer

left upper down on cage - increase of total thrust angle. decrease in wheel rate. increase in axle steer. increase in total thrust load carried by top bar.

charcoal01
11-21-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm curious why you say decrease in wheel rate. How are you calculating this? The adjustments I listed dynamically load the lr spring more, which would be an increase in spring weight felt by the tire. Are you talking about at ride height?

charcoal01
11-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Jeff, I understand dropping the left upper indexes away from the spring, in my op I said drop the left upper on the cage, which indexes the cage INTO the spring more. All of the adjustments I spoke about index into the spring more and are all adjustments commonly recommended and used when the track starts to slow down.

MM90
11-21-2013, 01:54 PM
drop the top left bar you index the cage away from the spring if its spring behind.

When I move bars I re index, seems like most don't though.

all your adjustment ideas are pretty much dead opposite of what I would do for slick IF I was going to touch anything on the lr bars.

to each his own

It's hard to re-index the birdcages at the track after bar adjustments. So that's something else you have to factor in to what BC indexing will affect the handling.

MM90
11-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Well we weren't talking about planning ahead on the changes. LOL I never touched my LS bars all season until the last few nights. One thing we did was zero the BC with me in the car and then checked them with me out so I don't have to be in the car.

Oh and you drove by me because you had a crate. LOL

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-21-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm curious why you say decrease in wheel rate. How are you calculating this? The adjustments I listed dynamically load the lr spring more, which would be an increase in spring weight felt by the tire. Are you talking about at ride height?

If the wheel has more load as the car hikes, that means the spring is unloading more slowly as the wheel drops. That means the wheel rate is decreased or softer.

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-21-2013, 08:39 PM
drop the top left bar you index the cage away from the spring if its spring behind.

When I move bars I re index, seems like most don't though.

all your adjustment ideas are pretty much dead opposite of what I would do for slick IF I was going to touch anything on the lr bars.

to each his own

Not a ton of experience with a lot of makes of mods, but a properly built car will see almost zero birdcage rotation when bars are moved on the chassis. This is if the ride heights are correct.

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-22-2013, 01:42 PM
That's not what Ive found on my car. 17 in upper changed bite 45lbs one hole change, 2 turns on that rod to re index correctly on my car.

I don't have to re index if I move both bars up a hole or down a hole or 2 or 3. but moving one bar is a different story.

to each his own.

I have never seen that bad. Usually within 10 to 15 lbs. Nonstandard location on cage will screw it up big time, however.

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-22-2013, 03:40 PM
My mod is set to the exact holes they recommend and exact lengths they recommend. to free my car up for the crate so far Ive ran the right side and j bar way off from recommended.

Mods run a whole lot of left side bar angle. My numbers posted are factual.

A number that bothers me more about not re index than bite is the difference moving a lr lower bar up one hole makes when hiked up with the chain limiter tight.

My lr spring goes from zero to 3\4 free play. To me that 3\4 is significant because my rearend would drop that much to even touch the spring if I get off the gas etc.

Maybe Im over thinking all this stuff and am too anal about know what does what. But its seemed to give me decent results. In 15 nights out in my mod total Ive won 5 or 6 heats and been top 8 or better most of the time. Ive been dq for light from a win, black flag leading a feature for no fuel cap, spun myself out racing for the lead etc.

Not arguing with you. I am just surprised. Stagger plays into it too.

What you are seeing with the spring gap is the change in wheel rate. It is what it is unless you change the spring accordingly. Or reduce drop.

charcoal01
11-22-2013, 05:17 PM
So I see we have another thread that has turned into a discussion about stock car drivers accomplishments and his always to tight bms mod that has rules and too much rear percentage. Don't mind me, just continue to talk about yourself.

stock car driver
11-22-2013, 05:40 PM
So I see we have another thread that has turned into a discussion about stock car drivers accomplishments and his always to tight bms mod that has rules and too much rear percentage. Don't mind me, just continue to talk about yourself.

Ill rectify that problem right now and put you on my ignore list on here. I know its far to complicated of a task for you to figure out how to do. Have a good weekend.

charcoal01
11-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Or you could not be such a narcissist and realize you make everything about yourself. But who am I to question the great stock car driver! The all knowing all doing lap dog to the wonderful jesse sobbing! I don't need to use the ignore feature because I'm man enough to tell someone they're being obnoxious without acting like we can't be friends anymore. That's what women do.

let-r-eat
11-22-2013, 06:26 PM
This is a good subject. The voodoo, black magic is what I call it. (Make the change and think about systemic effects). I also see that you get J-bar away from factory spec to free these cars up. This is much harder on rubber it seems. Fast early in the race but starts skating by the white flag. Much faster early in the race when the tires start to work.