PDA

View Full Version : What to add or change.

keeks
11-30-2013, 07:01 PM
I will out line what I have for a motor for you guys. I would appreciate any input as to what I can add/change to increase longevity, and maybe add a few hp.

I run Wissota Late. This is a basic steelhead spec motor that meets our 2300# rule package.

355 sbc
GM 010 4 bolt block.
1182 crank
JE pistons
Scat forged rods
Wet sump champ pan
World sportsman 2 heads stock, untouched
2975 intake untouched
Pro Systems carb
Mallory magneto
Methanol

I'm hoping it makes 500-525. I think that puts me at least 100hp down on the top guys. I'm having fun. Just want to make sure it lasts, and I'll get faster as I gain experience.

I'm planning on gasket matching heads and intake. Maybe add an accusump, and a pan heater. Maybe mill the heads while they are off? Or go to the Brodix Spec head?

Thanks

Race22
11-30-2013, 08:59 PM
WISSOTA a-mod spec for sale... Aftermarket block, 4340 crank, rods, cp pistons, sportsman II heads, hvh intake, t&d shaft rockers, Shaver built engine... $4500

let-r-eat
12-01-2013, 12:13 AM
You never mentioned cam or valvetrain but put the best stuff on you can afford. A good oil pump/pan. Radiator and water pump. Decent set of pulleys and not this knockoff soft stuff. Intake and head cooling lines. etc.

keeks
12-01-2013, 12:18 PM
I have a good comp cam, custom Trend pushrods Crane gold roller rockers. Jones pulleys, Howe radiator, Stewart water pump. It's all pretty good stuff.

racin6mod
12-01-2013, 05:03 PM
that intake might be a little much for those heads I would go ahead with the port matching and add bigger intake valves for now but later as you get faster switch heads. keep the radiator as clean as possible even taking it out of the car to wash it every two weeks at least. making a motor last is good maintenance through the week.

keeks
12-01-2013, 07:17 PM
I agree about maintenance. It has a System 1 oil filter. I check it after every night. Clean it, add a quart. After 3 nights I change oil. I'm using the VR-1 20-50.

DANNY
12-01-2013, 10:35 PM
I agree about maintenance. It has a System 1 oil filter. I check it after every night. Clean it, add a quart. After 3 nights I change oil. I'm using the VR-1 20-50.

Most guys will agree a top shelf grade synthetic with high zinc content and a Wix oil filter is the way to go.